Default Varroa Mite Wash of Dead Bees.

After reading a post about a dead out, is it possible to do an alcohol wash to count mites on dead bees from a dead out?
    How many mites on dead out bees are too many? >3%?
    Do the mites die on the bee or do they leave and try to find another bee? Or depends on how they died?
    Where exactly do mites hide and feed on the bee? I have looked and have yet to find a mite on a bee.

Default Re: Varroa Mite Wash of Dead Bees.

Well I am new, I wish I could answer but when I am lost I go to
    http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm. Michael is a great man and very kind in his answers. When done paying for my two sons college tuition I plan to donate to him. I would love to meet him. Good luck on your journey.

You can use water with some washing up liquid.A paper coffee filter will show up the mites very well, you can watch the process here: start at 3:50

http://youtu.be/iaavtUgDj9M

The one time I tried I didn't find mites on dead bees. Not to say it cannot happen though.

But I suspect that if the bee is dead the mite up and walks off.

Uncapping dead brood that's still fully sealed, and examining the contents can yield results though.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

You might also like to take a look at Randy Oliver's post about 'Mite sampling methods and thresholds' on his site 'Scientific Beekeeping'.http://scientificbeekeeping.com/figh...mite-sampling/

He describes how to do an alcohol wash (and other sampling methods) plus has a section on manageable mite count thresholds.
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Neither of those address the post which is DEAD bees.... I should have a dead out I can check tomorrow... I am very curious also. I assumed all themites would have already dropped of... but that may not be a valid point....

I look on the bottom board for mites. I never saw a significant amount on dead bees. I think they mostly fall off and abandon a dead bee in search of a live one.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    is it possible to do an alcohol wash to count mites on dead bees from a dead out?
    Of course you could do an alcohol wash of bees from a deadout....but I doubt if the results would be significant in any way.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I find them in dead winter clusters but that may be because of the cold environment and may not happen in warmer temps.
    Varroa can hide between the thorax and abdomen and also between segments of the abdomen.

Quote Originally Posted by JD's Bees View Post
    Varroa can hide between the thorax and abdomen and also between segments of the abdomen.
    Do they stick out of the segment? can you see them or do you have to disect the bee?

>Do they stick out of the segment?

Yes.

>can you see them or do you have to disect the bee?

You can see them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF