Arrow Filling Candy board

After pulling the honey for the year and getting the hive ready for winter I installed a candy board. This is my first winter with the bees so I wanted to make sure they have more than enough food. The board has been on for a little over 3 weeks. Today since the weather was nice and I could see them coming in and out of the top enterence I decieded to check them. They have already ate approx. 2 inches of sugarin the front clear through. Then around the pollen patty about an inch and a half on all sides. I see they are also starting to eat through the corners. There are a couple of nice days this week. Should I make up some easy drop in bricks to place in the hive? I'm worried that it's not even november and they have taken this much down. The board holds 16 pounds of sugar.

Default Re: Filling Candy board

I think when it get cold bees will not be on your candy board ---I think the feed should be setting on the frames where they can get to the food --if your candy board is hard candy turn the board over will help with candy next to frames ----

Quote Originally Posted by Michbeekeeper View Post
    After pulling the honey for the year and getting the hive ready for winter I installed a candy board.
    After pulling honey, how much did you leave in the hive for the bees?

In our part of the country a candy board should be considered "emergency" feed, not a staple. Also, you may want to consider stopping the pollen patties now. Won't be long and the bees are going to be hive-bound and you don't want them ending up with dysentery like problems due to lack of cleansing flight opportunities.
    To everything there is a season....

This is a big hive. They have 3 deeps and a 4th 90% full but not all is capped. I will pull the pollen but it doesn't even look like they have touched it.

Wow. Sounds like they are ready, and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Wow. Sounds like they are ready, and then some.
    What do you mean by that.

S, there are four deep boxes, but how much is honey?

With 4 deeps, one of them 90% full, plus 16# of sugar, I think the colony has more than enough stores to make it through the winter. If you have capped honey in the other 3 deeps as well you will probably have some honey left over to extract in the spring. Better that, than starving bees. Sounds like you left them plenty.

Well Got to check up on them again to since it was 60 out!!!!! The SUN!!!!! Anyway, they have slowed on eating the candy now. If I were to guess about 60-75% of the board is left. I also removed the pollen patty. At what time of year should I add it back?