Default what's going on with my hive in South FL?

Ok, I last checked my hive about two weeks ago and there was about 8 bar of brood,eggs, and larvae. We had some chilly weather and today I opened the hive and there is only about three bars of brood, no eggs, no larvae, and a little drone brood; one bar has two peanuts hanging off of the bottom that look like queen cells. The other frames have little brood and the open comb is being filled with nectar. there is plenty of room and alot of unused comb. There is a total of about 12-13 frames with comb. There is plenty of activity with the girls bringing in nectar and pollen. About two weeks ago I took a bar that had a small amount of comb with eggs, larvae, and brood that I took to do a trap out. The trap out didn't work and I still have the brood comb in a swarm catching box. Before I took the comb with eggs I shook off the bees in the grass so they could go back to the original hive, it was a small comb and the queen was not on it (I'm 90% sure of this ;-) ) Any ideas what's going on? When I checked the hive I didn't see the queen but she has been elusive b4.

Default Re: what's going on with my hive in South FL?

You sure you didn't shake the queen off in the grass? If you did, maybe she didn't make it back in.

No, I'm not totally sure but who knows, it was a very small comb with and there wasn't too many bees on it. I also failed to mention that this is my first year and the package was installed at the beginning of January. If I killed the queen I guess I did a brood break and will have a new queen.

Judging by those "peanuts" you saw, you should have a new queen soon. Another good reason for having a marked queen, especially if you're new at it, is that it makes her easier to spot.
    Last edited by SteveBee; 03-08-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add info

Yeah, sounds like your queen is gone.

I wonder if I should let them do there thing or buy a mated queen to install now?

Your hive swarmed.Remember folks,this beek is in Ft Lauderdale,Fl.