Default Hole size for quart jar?

Gosh I hated asking this cause know its been asked a million times....

Building 1x10 feeding lids for nucs. What size bit should I use for the jar hole?

Default Re: Hole size for quart jar?

2 13/16 is the best size but tough to find. You can use 2 3/4 hole saw and sand it a bit for best snug fit. Snug is better to keep out the rain. Good luck!

2 3/4" hole for the small mouth jars. I drill from the top and let it wiggle just a little bit as drilling. No sanding and the lids fit nice and tight. I use 3 1/2" hole for the wide mouth jars, no wiggle, and fits a little looser than the small mouth but works great.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Not sure of the exact dimensions but this is what I use:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?&page=2393

You can adjust it for a good snug fit. Works very well if you have a drill press.

I started with a 2 3/4" but then went up to a 2 7/8". I also stapled metal screen onto the inside of the lid so I could fill jars without any bees coming out. If your using a ball canning jar you'll need to bubble out the lid a little after you make holes in it. if you don't there's about a 1/8" gap and I'm not sure the bees could reach it.

If you use 1/4" hardware cloth they can stick their heads through it to feed, and even though they can easily come through it if they want to, they don't - or at least very few of them will - when you feed them.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    <ship> if you don't there's about a 1/8" gap and I'm not sure the bees could reach it.
    I haven't tried this myself but an old beek told me to simply flip the lid over backwards in the ring and the bees will be able to get to the syrup easily....he said it wouldn't leak. Like I said, though, I haven't tried it being as I use one-piece lids (no separate lids and rings).

Ed

One little trick I learned is to not worry about the size of the hole in the inner cover. Buy a pvc pipe sleeve, cut in half or 1/4's depending on type of sleeve you find to reduce it's height. The glass "shoulders" of the jar rests on the pvc sleeve and exact hole size is not as important. I can use 1/2 gallon, 1 gallon, quart jars what ever size I need and not worry about the lid fitting the inner cover. I also use a spare hive body and telescoping cover to help protect the jar from raccoons.

I just make all my holes 2". I don't screen them. The jar or can sits on top. Keep it simple.

Ed- Good stuff. I just tried it and it worked beautifully. I punched two holes in the lid using a large framing nail and filled the jar full of hot water and flipped it over. No leaks around the ring. The only drips were from my shaking hand and it was about 3 or 4 till I got the shaking stabilized. In my opinion I like the idea of not having to veil up to fill feeders and that's where the 1/8" screen comes in handy.

Ross- I fully agree with you about K.I.S.S. Unfortunately in my case it's easier said than done.