Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maybe a fix for SHB!!!

I thought everyone would like to know they may have a fix.It made the news in Bir.AL. A young women found a way to kill the small hive bettle.She had trouble with them and found out that honey has a little natural hydrogen peroxide in it.She added more somehow to the hive and it killed the bettles when they ate the honey.I don't know how she done it, i'm trying to find out more about it.The news station was FOX 6 in Birmingham,AL. Copper287

Default Re: Maybe a fix for SHB!!!

Please keep us posted on that artical

I forgot to put she won a big senice fair in AZ with this.

copper go to that station web site maybe you can find the story there and keep us imformed.

Yes, definitely keep us informed. And thanks for this news.

nwgabeeman

Here is a link to the news story.

http://www.myfoxal.com/dpp/features/...23_bee_student
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

smart young lady, poor news caster then saying in the honey bee world it's the drone that takes care of the babies
    Ted

Maybe someone out there can find out more .They want call or e-mail me back.I'm still trying.

We need to find out how she got the hyrdrogen peroxide into the hive. Could the delivery agent be like when we used the through the propane fogger?

Can't wait to find out how.....

Thx
    TheSurveyor
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

She may be tight lipped at this point so that she can go commercial and get a patent.

Link to fox article is gone, but check out this site: http://www.foodgradeh2o2.com/ of particular interest is the product sodium percarbonate, the dry form of peroxide. How any of this is introduced is still someone elses secret

Lightbulb Re: Maybe a fix for SHB!!!

I tried 1 ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 pint of sugar syrup on one of my hives yesterday. The bees took the syrup and so far it has had no adverse effect on them. They seem to be doing great. Hydrogen peroxide is chemically H2O2. That would be 2 parts hydrogen and 2 parts oxygen. Water is H2O. That would be 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. The difference is peroxide has an additional part of oxygen. Oxygen should not harm the bees and it has been proven that hydrogen peroxide will kill beetles infesting crops. I will keep you posted as I experiment further. I don't recommend you try this on your hives yet.
    Last edited by possum51; 07-08-2009 at 10:00 AM.

I did some research and found this link the young ladys name seems to be Lydia L McCormick, 16, Jefferson County

http://www.societyforscience.org/int...lISEF09GAO.pdf

Here's another honey related project in that same document.

Extraction of Phenolics in Honey for Antibacterial Analysis, Phase III

3 gallons of h2o2-treated feed and no apparent affect. I treated the soil and put out candle tins of cider vinegar - observable beetles are now down to zero - no other control, tho I have AJ's and bottom beetle trap on the way. Just trying to thrive my hive.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Speaking of AJ bettle eater. Has anyone had good sucess. Also proud to see a young mind at work for the bee's

I plan on installing my AJ's this weekend into my second box - doubt that I want to deal with my primary brood chamber, especially since they would require a lot of maintenance. Also have a west beetle trap that I have to get up the courage to replace for my SBB, which means a major hive invasion.

I'll keep posting with regard to success (keep your boxes tight and I suggest screening the top hole in your inner box cover if your hive is not strong up there)
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

I fed a couple of quarts of hydrogen peroxide supplemented sugar syrup to my hives. I found a few beetles on top of the intercover and killed them. I haven't seen a beetle since. I am still watching and will inform as time progresses.

Since hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) eventually reverts
    back to water (no idea how long it takes) I'm wondering
    how long this would be effective? (if it is)

Also they do make a 35% food grade peroxide as opposed
    to 3%. Which may make it more economical for large batches.

Hello all,
    Well I was at my local bee association meeting and Lydia McCormick was there. She is the young lady that won 1st place in the science contest about hydrogen peroxide & SHB.
    I talked with her a few minutes about the project. Basically her research found that hives that had a large SHB population resulted in higer hydrogen peroxide levels in the honey. I believe she did add a bit of peroxide to the test comb and it killed the beetles present. Her project was not about a way to eliminate the SHB but to identify there was a problem with the hive due to stressed bees producing more hydrogen peroxide which is already present in the honey. She was surprised to hear that her project was a topic of discussion. She is going to email me the report and gave me permission to post it for all who are intrested to read. She also said she is going to do more research on this issue. Its a start and I am glad to see some young people working on possible solutions.
    I gave her the forum web address so maybe she will join and help answer questions about her research. She was very nice and willing to talk to anyone interested in the project.

GW
    I 'm not judgmental...... I 'm just unselfish with my knowledge that what you're doing is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast