Default Moving a couple hives 1500 miles?

Sadly, the Vermont guy I was getting a couple overwintered nucs from had a tough winter and won't be able to supply me with bees. I may be out of luck getting more North Country bees, at this late date.

I do still have bees coming here in FL-- one nuc and one package. These were going to be for a couple of long hives, but now they might be the only bees I'll get this year, so I'm thinking about installing them in Langstroth equipment and hauling them north for the spring.

One question involves the length of time the new colonies would be in place before I moved them-- about a month for the nuc, just a couple of weeks for the package. Is this enough time to establish the new colonies in such a way that the move wouldn't do serious damage?

The second question is: how hard is it to transport a couple hives 1500 miles? I won't be able to do it all in one shot-- too old and feeble for that kind of driving anymore. I'll have an enclosed trailer to put them in.

I'd be grateful for any advice on my two major concerns. The trip would be in late April, so should be lots of nectar in the area I plan to set them up. I'll be getting there just about when apple trees bloom, and there are lots of neglected apple trees on the property. If experienced folks think this is a bad idea, I can leave them here, and try to trap some swarms-- I've built a bunch of swarm traps, and there seem to be a lot of bees in the area-- the blackberries were really thick on the canes when I was there last July.

Default Re: Moving a couple hives 1500 miles?

Surely you can find someone to sell you two established colonies. Offer a premium if need be. It will be cheaper than wear and tear on a vehicle , fuel for 1500 miles or is it 3000 miles return, plus meals, plus hotel one night plus wear and tear on the vehicle and your "old and feeble body". Really there is an easier way. Spend a lttle bit more for established hives in your neck of the woods. You will be glad you did.

Jean-Marc

Putting live bees in an enclosed trailer for a long journey is not a good idea.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Jean-Marc, I have to drive up anyway, even if there are no bees involved. We're building a summer place up there, and I'm hauling a trailer-load of tools and materials.

I'm starting to lean toward not taking bees. Maybe I can find some up there, one way or another.

Well that is a little different if you are going up anyway. I would still try and track something down. Otherwise get florida bees and move em north. It may not be what you want but they will get you started. Perhaps if you want you could order a couple of "Northern queens" whenthey become available, actually order now and switch later.

A package establishe for a few weeks would be fine to transport. The lesser the strength the easier to transport. Problems with fols with limited experience come when bees are strong, the night is warm and the bees are a crawling. Perfect mix for a memorable evening.

Jean-Marc

rhaldridge

Overheating will be your biggest enemy for your move.

If you could delay your package and install it in Vermont you may have better luck. If you can delay, move the package inside the vehicle with the AC on.

You could staple window screen on the bottom of the nuc, instead of a bottom board, and move it the same way. Inside vehicle with AC.

If you can't delay the package, give it a try. I would bet they make it as long as they don't get too hot.

James

If you have trouble getting bees up North maybe it would be easier/better to buy packages here and transport them?

I don't know but it seems like a couple of fresh packages are easier to maintain in a favorable climate. I would think many of the packages people buy up north are a few days old at least.

Just guessing!

Appreciate the advice, folks. I guess I could carry the hives in the back of the Forester, wrapped in mosquito netting. This would be in late April, so probably not very hot once I get north a ways.

I have a few days to decide which hives I'm going to install the bees into.

For now you can install your package at your current location. And continue to nourish your nuc hive when they all come.
    In late April they should have one batch of young foragers and another batch of sealed broods when all things are going according to timing. Depend on the condition of your nuc and package then you can decide which one to take along or both. Hopefully both will make it if you go that route. I prefer the medium nuc rather than the deep nuc for better handling. I think for safety and easy of handling I would put them in a 5 frames nuc box. And give them window screen top and bottom if it gets too hot. Then cover them up when it gets too cold. Of course, you have to figure a way to feed them water and syrup. Also, a patty for the entire week should be enough to feed them inside. My guess would be 2-3 days until you get there if you are resting along the way too. This is doable if nobody has a better solution.

Where up north
    Some of the locals might have some ideas. On where to fine bees