Default Pecan flavored creamed honey

Upon doing research, I found an old post from 2008 in regards to some flavored honey. The one that caught my eye was the pecan flavored honey. If I wanted to do a 10 pound batch, how much pecan meal would I need? Found a site that offers 1 pound of pecan meal for 6.99, so thought I might give it a try.

Default Re: Pecan flavored creamed honey

Quote Originally Posted by beau1206 View Post
    Upon doing research, I found an old post from 2008 in regards to some flavored honey. The one that caught my eye was the pecan flavored honey. If I wanted to do a 10 pound batch, how much pecan meal would I need? Found a site that offers 1 pound of pecan meal for 6.99, so thought I might give it a try.
    Pecan can be very popular at Farmers Markets and in stores. Use pecan 'meal' for the flavoring. We used five pounds of meal for every 60 lbs. of honey, and that formula should scale well. Before pouring the meal/honey mixture we put about 10 pieces of pecans in each jar (one pound size). The pieces will rise to the top of the jar and, being coated with honey, will be attractive.

Good luck.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

What would be a good price for an 8oz jar? Don't believe a lot of people around me offer creamed honey, let alone flavored.

We use 12 oz. creamed honey containers from Blue Sky for our regular and cinnamon creamed honey, we get $7.00 for them. We're going to try the pecan and figure we need about .50 more to cover the cost of the pecan meal.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd@rossrounds View Post
    Pecan can be very popular at Farmers Markets and in stores. Use pecan 'meal' for the flavoring. We used five pounds of meal for every 60 lbs. of honey, and that formula should scale well. Before pouring the meal/honey mixture we put about 10 pieces of pecans in each jar (one pound size). The pieces will rise to the top of the jar and, being coated with honey, will be attractive.

Good luck.
    I am taking this is not creamed honey, since you said the pecans float to the top, correct. And the pecan meal does not create spoliage issues or special storage? And I too am curious to the upgrade cost?

I am sure you have a certified honey house, I think adding meal would put me in a different catergory as far as SC DHEC requirments vs just regualr honey. I asked about adding a chilie to pepper to jars and got all kind of answers from the reg folks..

And LLyod have you ever dealt in propolis?
    sc-bee