Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Default Re: Treatment Free Commercial Beekeepers?

All of my honey supers stay here in NY for the Winter, stacked on wearhouse pallets w/ a plastic tarp cover and a pallet on top to weigh the tarp down so the top supers don't blow off. I have never had any wax moth damage in those stacks.

Deep supers used for brood supers will have some pollen in them. If they don't get back on strong colonies early enough in the Spring they will often have wax moth damage.

Seems like the presence of pollen is the problem.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    If boxes are not stored where it will freeze, wax moths can be a significant problem even in cold areas.
    Yep.....

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    All of my honey supers stay here in NY for the Winter, stacked on wearhouse pallets w/ a plastic tarp cover and a pallet on top to weigh the tarp down so the top supers don't blow off. I have never had any wax moth damage in those stacks.

Deep supers used for brood supers will have some pollen in them. If they don't get back on strong colonies early enough in the Spring they will often have wax moth damage.
    Seems like the presence of pollen is the problem.
    I'm doing similar using pallets. Plywood at the bottom to keep mice out. Every 3rd super I use aluminum foil, just in case. 6 stacks of 12 to a pallet. Stored in open lean pole barn.

You like those ladders don't ya? heh,heh

I sometimes put 6 excluders down on the pallet before stacking supers 10 high. Sometimes I put excluders between supers too. This keeps mice to just a couple supers. Mice Motels. My equipment isn't tight enough to keep mice from getting in even if I tried to keep them out.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    You like those ladders don't ya? heh,heh

I sometimes put 6 excluders down on the pallet before stacking supers 10 high. Sometimes I put excluders between supers too. This keeps mice to just a couple supers. Mice Motels. My equipment isn't tight enough to keep mice from getting in even if I tried to keep them out.
    I think I own a total of 5 queen excluders, somewhere??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Baldwin View Post
    Perhaps I should retract my statement that some Russian lines were terrible. And say they did not fit my management. Although our web page says Russian Bees I try to be clear as to what I am doing. I am not a Russian cooperator. I am not bringing in new Russian stock. I am pursuing resistance that the Russians gave me while selecting top performers under my management. So I do cringe a little. What do I have? I don't know.
    I am not Randy Oliver's Taliban. I am not trying to push my bees on anybody. What I do desire is an open mind that mite resistance is real. And given time and dedication that mite resistance can be advanced through proper pressure and selection in ANY strain of bees. And that's not painless. But it is doable. And I believe the ultimate answer.
    For those still wondering, I let lots of bees die to get where I am. Now you could not pay me to treat for mites. Why step back? I said earlier I am just one guy. I am nothing special. Anyone that can rear queens could follow the same course. What if a bunch of people were doing this? How much more could be accomplished? That's what gets me down. Won't anybody go for it? Remember your not taking anything with you when you go. But you are supposed to leave the world a better place when you leave.
    Amen.........

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243