Default Swarms and Cutouts

Do you charge to get a swarm off of someones property? Do you do cutouts or trapouts and how much do you charge for that? I know this can very from how high and other conditions. I have collected over 50 swarms and more than 10 cutouts over the years all free of charge. I will be doing my first real trapouts this year using the Cleo Hogan method. I have never charged anyone yet but with the fuel prices and the time it takes I am starting to think it is worth more than just the bees. Am I being greedy? What do you do?

Default Re: Swarms and Cutouts

I don't charge to get a swarm off someones property...they are doing me a favor calling me to come and get it in the first place. Cutouts, another story....those are like real work and I do charge a flat hourly rate that I think is fair for the region I am in and who needs it done. Yes, the lawyer pays way more then the little old lady! Course all lawyers pay the price from the beatings I have taken in life! ;-) I don't think you are greedy at all....I would just be reasonable and at a minimum I would get reimbursed for travel costs for the cutouts.
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 03-07-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: left a couple words out

I charge gas for hanging swarms over 25 miles under 12' from the ground and a minimum $250 for a cutout. If the cutout involves climbing ladders I charge more. If the bees have been poisoned I charge more.. Think of cut outs like this you are no longer a beek, you are a carpenter that can remove bees. Some cutouts can be very time consuming and labor intensive work so charge accordingly.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

If you need more info... contact me on the link below.

I charge for cutouts generally in the $75 an hour range with a $350 minimum. To much time, effort and liability not to. More if the bees are in a difficult location or I'm high in the air. If they have been sprayed I charge an extra $200.

Close swarms I'll collect for free early in the season, because I think primary swarms caught early are worth $125 in honey.

Later in the season swarms I charge $50 - $125 dollars for because I end up having to feed them to get them through winter.

A convenient trapout I will do in the $2 - $400 dollars range depending on the set up. I won't do inconvenient trap outs (to many trips).

Doing removals can be a nice little sideline if you have a construction background and all the equipment.

http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/use...20Kathleen%20D

Don

I am in the ranges of the other people. I do add for mileage if it is out of town
    David

I charge 60 dollars an hour from the time I leave home. I don't do any repair. I'll leave it so repairs are easy. Does anybody repair

I don't charge for swarms if they are relatively close. I do though bring a little 8oz honeybear along with one of my cards to give whomever called me as a "thank you". Sounds odd, but you'd be amazed how many of those customers are wanting local honey and they'll buy some from you or call you later to buy some. If they are willing to find a beekeeper to get a swarm, they are potental customers.

As for cut outs? Minimum $300 (4 hours work), $50 per hour after that. That's for a single story standard removal and I do no repairs. My charge goes up the more complex it gets or the less time I have available. If they aren't nearby. I pass them to another beekeeper who's nearer and they return the favor.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Lazyw That is how I have been doing it. I make an egreement with the property owner that I will do as little cutting as possible and I will make it as weather prof as I can when I am done but it will be up to then to have a contactor repair everything. I have never had anyone have a problem with that. I can do some carpentry but am not carpenter. I usally like to have to property owner near and get approval as I go.

As a painting contractor I do offer the rebuild. Just as long as it isn't major structural problem. If it is more than can handle I know enough carp to do it.
    David

As a licensed builder and owner of a residential/commercial building company, we can not only remove the bees and hive components, but rebuild anything to new condition.
    Once we leave the site, it's like we (us or the bees) were never there.

I make repairs, as long as it doesn't envolve sheetrock, stucco, or masonry.

Homeowners like that everything is put back together as good as new when I'm finished and it saves them money.

Don

I do not charge for removals of any kind at this time. but that is not a permanent situation. Right now I am gathering experience as well as information. I track time equipment and other costs. My numbers after one swarm one cut out and one trap out are varying widely but are averaging int eh $300 per range. Swarms that are easy to catch will remain free. but trap outs and cut outs require travel tools and a lot of time. I now have three references as well. Am starting to put together a portfolio and have building and remodel experience.

I have a while before I will have any standing in this area. but when I do it will have value and I will utilize that value.

Although I can rebuild I don't it is illegal in my area. They will have to get a licensed contractor to repair any damage. what I can do is limit damage to a min. They can also submit a claim to their homeowners insurance for both the contractor and my pay. And that is how it is. I don't see it any different that if they had a leaking pipe or broken window. bad things happen and it is not my home. I am just there to fix it. If the bees live and I end up with a new colony that also is the benefits of my skills and not related to getting them out of the house at all. If the homeowner wants the bees they can run out and get a couple hundred dollars in equipment. I did, that is why I am able to keep them when I am done.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

"They can also submit a claim to their homeowners insurance for both the contractor and my pay. And that is how it is. I don't see it any different that if they had a leaking pipe or broken window. bad things happen and it is not my home".

Unfortunately most insurance companies view insect infestation as a "maintenance issue" and will not pay for any damage caused by or as a result of the infestation.
    It's a very convenient loop hole for them.

I do swarms for free and I do not do cutouts at all, however I get lots of calls for cutouts and do a lot of educating. Every once in a while a homeowner will insist on giving me some cash but it is never requested or expected. Capturing swarms is one of my favorite things to do and the enjoyment I get out of it is payment enough.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I've done a couple with my cousin. We were both trying to get experience and it was a good way to get a lot of experience in a short time. I don't know that I would do one by myself yet, to me it seems that it is best to have two people when doing them, but JPtheBeeman does them all the time by himself. This year cutouts are not going to be free unless it is a friend or it is real easy. I enjoy doing them, but don't kid yourself, it is indeed work.

I would pay for a swarm if it is was prime and close, so I wouldn't charge for collecting a swarm.

Gas money for swarms. $200 minimum for cutouts. I only do easy cutouts now.
    I also have a contract I get people to sign, if they won't sign it, I will not do the cutout.