Default Fruit tree sprays and bees

I am going to spray Lime sulfur delayed dormant spray this weekend and was wondering what effect, if any it has on bees. Doing my homework I found this great publication by WSU and thought I would post it.
    http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/cepublicatio...18/pnw0518.pdf
    I sprayed last weekend with perfect conditions (high in the 40s, calm and broken clouds) but Weatherman missed and an hour long downpour hit before I was even completed. There went an extra gallon of chemicals into the soil! This weekend it will be in the 50s for a high.
    Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Fruit tree sprays and bees

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    I sprayed last weekend with perfect conditions (high in the 40s, calm and broken clouds) but Weatherman missed and an hour long downpour hit before I was even completed. There went an extra gallon of chemicals into the soil! This weekend it will be in the 50s for a high.
    Didn't know there was a perfect time to spray, hope the weatherman didn't tell you this

Lime Sulfer spray is a chemical that kills scale insects when they start expanding after winter dormancy. Water is a CHEMICAL to. Peaches are made of chemicals. You are a mass of different chemical compounds many of them quite toxic. Are those manmade chemicals too? Irrationality weakens what is indeed a valid concern in food contamination.

I would think that Lime Sulfur is pretty harmless. Your link even lists it as having little affect on bees. Probably not a problem to respray if you wish. I add lime or sulfur to the soil depending on how the pH has to be adusted all the time

IMHO perfect time to spray delayed dormant is when the light to no breeze (I don’t eat so much of it and it goes the direction I am pointing it), under 50 with clouds (bees don’t go down to the cold wet bottom land of the orchard) and more importantly it will stop raining! Did I mention rain?
    Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)