Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comb Honey

Default Re: Comb Honey

I have not produced cut comb honey but I have made the decision to give it a go this year. I looked at Ross Rounds, Basswood sections, Hogg's cassettes and mason jar comb and they all look great but it seems like they have issues with bees working them. I know folks have had success or these things would not sell but as Mike P said its just one more thing to manage. I am going old school and just gonna have the bees draw out some thin wax foundation or foundationless super frames and call it a day. I am looking forward to it though!

The "Local Food" movement is going strong here and many restaurants now offer an appetizer plate of cheeses, fruit, and a chunk of comb honey which most are advertising as local. Could be a potential point of sale.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have a whole box of basswood sections leftover from my grandfather's stuff. I found one of the supers he used for it to, but it was in rough shape. I was going to whip up a new one and try a super this summer. I was going to order some of the Kelley thin foundation for them.

Why would the basswood honey have any flavor from the wood? Pine has more of scent and oils coming off of it and it is used commonly for frames. I never hear of honey tasting like turpentine.

I've had people asking me for comb honey...even had a roadside farmer's stand tell me that they can't find any beekeepers in the area to supply them with it. I decided I would invest in one RR super to give it a try. If it becomes a pain, I'll try regular comb honey as Michael suggested. There are still quite a few "old timers" in my area that are in search of comb honey. As for marketing, I started a Facebook page for my hives, word of mouth, friends and family and the local Farmer's Market in August.

As soon as I got bees the in-laws were all clamoring for cut comb. It has to be about the easiest part of bee keeping so far. I was using foundation (folded a deep in half), this year I am using thin foundation of the proper size. Plan is to put foundationless in every other slot as it is drawn out. When doing an inspection I would just pull a shallow frame and put in a new one. I get the little plastic snack packs at the local bee store for pennies.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12