Thread: Anyone Fly RC?

Embarrassed Anyone Fly RC?

As the subject asks. Anyone fly RC planes/helis? Run cars or trucks? Tanks? Quadcopters? UAV? FPV? OMG!

I fly helis, though mostly fixed pitch. Do have a Master CP I'm trying to learn on. Also have a F3P foamie plane I'm working on.

Default Re: Anyone Fly RC?

I still have some of the gear, but the addition of kids has lead to the RC ger being tucked away on a shelf. I always liked the helis, but the crashes spectacular nature generally meant an end to the days fun until i could fix them. The nitro turcks thogh, they were generally tough enough to abuse and keep playing. Also, a bit of an alignment problem, or a rough running engine just meant you couldn't drive as fast, or maybe couldn't turn in one direction. it didn't mean your fancy toy would be grabbed by some wind sprirt and catapulted into the nearest hard object So, for my money, i liked the RC land vehicles the best. I now have more property and two ponds and a creek, so I may get into the boats one the kids get a little bigger. I'm not much for charging batteries, so my preference is to just start them on the nitro stuff.

That's the only issue with most of my stuff now is that it's electric. Darn things don't fly for long at all.

I've got an old Team Associated car from the 70s that had an OS engine on it.. Darn thing, something went nuts on it and it took off full throttle.. RIGHT across the road, nearly clipping a car, RIGHT over a berm causing it to jump into the air and RIGHT into a fence with the top end of the engine it went.. Snapped the little OS in half and it went spiralling through the air a good 20' up.. Oops.

Used to have a 4tech and T-Max, but those got stolen.. So aggravating.

If you want a little heli to fart around on, the WL Toys V911 is by far my fave bird right now. Comes with 2 batteries, is nimble and fun. Fly it inside all the time.. Outside on calm (1-3mph) days.

Thats why i get nervous about driving these things around in parking lots..etc. I would always use parks out in the country, or BMX dirt tracks, or abandoned warehouse lots...etc. I always ran 4X4 trucks and some of them were rather heavy. An 1/8th scale truck could do some damage traveling at 50mph! I've certainly had them get away from me at times and crash into anything from dumpsters, to trees, to simply launching themselves as high as physics would allow before reentry and crashing.

My helicopter experience was all with stuff in China. My wife was transfered there for a few months and I went over the spend 2 weeks visiting. You could buy electric RTR helis for 20 or 30 bucks. at that price, you could darn ner just buy a new one whenever you broke something

I flew RC for years did the whole gamut from Trainer to 1/4 scale 3D, heli 30 60 90 size, pattern planes gliders had fun for a long time till we lost our field. Then it all went south, sold all my stuff and never looked back all but one plane only reason I kept it was a buddy of mine built it. Lost him in a plane crash about 5 years ago plane been hanging there every since.

I don't blame you for hanging on to it, Dconrad. Low-wing and fast...she's a looker.

That is a beautiful plane indeed. Love the checkers.. Top have an orientation pattern as well?

Well, these days with the 2.4G radios I don't worry as much. Still have a blast regardless, and yes, with the prices so low on some it's not much worry at all what you knock them into.. I've bounced this V911 all over the place and it's still flying great.

Smile Re: Anyone Fly RC?

IMAG0744.jpg

Here's a pic of my V911 hovering hands free. Fun lil' ripper and for right now, still my fave.

Though the TX sucks.. I've got a Devo 8S touch screen though that I can hack the 2.4Ghz module out of this one and place it into the Devo, running 3rd party Deviation firmware.
    Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-07-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Used to fly gliders, & gas. Now I occasionally fly a 500 class heli.
    Dan

Never flown a helicopter before... they're so expencive... and tough to fly (I'd imagin).

Plus I love building gliders and prop jobs. Mostly build them from plans (or just wing it) and sell them off to friends that like to fly. I think I've built 30 planes and only flown 2... I must have a problem lol

Price isn't bad on them these days, and the little ones bounce fairly easily, so hardly any damage on crash.

That said, I've shifted to quadcopters now, with two WLToys models. I'm planning on building a tricopter or two, too though, which will be larger and handle some decent gear. Maybe some FPV, maybe a camera.. Who knows.

Stick building is a lost art these days. Kudos. I did a nice glider once from kit and loved it... Though.. Never flew it.. Was before electric took off (no pun) and went mainstream, so had a little COX engine on it.