Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

neighbors humming bird feeders

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Bear Creek Steve 
#1 ·
Hi, My wife and I are brand new keepers anxiously awaiting for the phone call that our two nucs from the local association are ready. Until then all I can do is stare at my two beautiful hives sitting in my workshop, make sure my equipment is ready to go and read, read, read. All of the questions that I have had so far, I have been able to get answers to somwhere (usually here) however one of my questions I havent seen touched on yet. My neighbors love to feed humming birds during the spring and summer and usually have probably ten or more feeders out. The planned area for our bee yard is on the other side of our property from theirs and will put our hives about two hundred feet from their humming bird feeders. I think my question is pretty clear by now, will the feeders become bee feeders. My wife and I have a great relationship with these neighbors and consider them part of our family, so I really dont want to cause any problems for them. I have spoken to our neighbors about us keeping bees and they are all for it and have said they cant wait for us to get them up and running. I did mention my concern that the bees may be attracted to the feeders in large numbers but that as a brand new keeper I wasnt sure how much they would be. Their answer to this was that they wouldnt put them up simple as that, last year they didnt get very many hummers to the feeders. After reading so many horror stories of ignorant neighbors that folks have to deal with, I feel very lucky to have such understanding and compromising neighbors. Even though they have already said "no big deal we just wont put them up" I dont want that to be the solution since I know how much they enjoy seeing the little birds coming to their windows even if it is just a few. So, question two, how to have both. If it proves that the feeders will become out feeders for the bees, will I be able to keep large numbers from feeding on them by heavy feeding at the hives when there is no or low flow. I would imagine that some of you have encountered this situation and just wondering what to expect. Thanks, Ryan

See less See more
#3 ·
The answer is an easy one. There are several styles of humming bird feeders available - some bee-proof and other not. The ones with the long glass tube are NOT bee-proof and you will definitely see a mass of bees around these during our dearth in July and August. The other style requires long beak to get access to the sugar water. With this style, bees cannot reach the sugar water and will not bother it. They may smell the sugar water, but quickly give up once they determine that they cannot reach it. Make sure there are no leaks.

I suggest that you buy a few of these and gift them to your neighbors. We have lots of bees on our property and feed humming birds all season long with no problems at all. Just make sure you get the right feeder.

The one we use is similar to this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_109787-4827...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

#4 ·
I'd like to chime in too......
I currently have 4 hives and several humming bird feeders in my backyard. The bees never seem to bother it, although sometimes I'll get a wasp or two that will try. As Rader suggested purchase the one in that link and give it as a gift. In addition to keeping out bees that feeder is much easier to clean and fill, which will need to be done from time to time. I live in the Portland, OR area and I didn't think hummingbirds stayed around during the winter. We now have them year round, makes for a very relaxing and peaceful backyard!

#6 ·
Thank you everyone for the input. I believe most of their feeders are the ones you folks have mentioned. Ill definately be picking some of them up anyway for them to replace any that arent. Will be a nice welcome back spring gift for them.

#7 ·
My neighbor feeds hundreds of hummingbirds on her deck during the summer. I bought her a better bird feeder but there was still a problem since she had over a dozen feeders. She now sprays the feeders with Avon Skin-so-Soft and the bees no longer forage at the feeders.

#9 ·
VAR,

Several years ago was faced with a situation similar to the potential one that you describe. I bought an inexpensive hummingbird feeder and experimented. I removed the yellow plastic "flowers" from the feeding ports and installed three different diameters of plastic soda straws protruding different heights above the feeder. The successful diameter was the average type of straw and the best height was 1/4 to 3/8 inches above the top of the reservoir. At Home Depot you can also buy a package of small plastic "cages" that you can install above the individual ports to make the fluid level too deep for the honeybee but not the hummingbird.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.