Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Ted Kretschmann

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dixiebooks 
#1 ·
In one of the Robert Russell threads Ted Kretschmann's name came up. Well, I took Ted K. up on an invitation to call him...we talked about an hour. Ted's doing ok and is finally about over the spider bite which was a bad time for him..we're talking bone scraping surgery,etc.,.

The thing about Ted is that though he's done this all of his life and probably as much of an expert as anyone in the country he loves to talk bees with a newbee like me. When I told him I had three viable hives going into the spring I thought I'd get a chuckle from the fellow that's got 2000+ hives...that wasn't the case, though. Instead, when he found out I'd lost two colonies he insured me that I was about average with the rest of the industry and better than what he had in one yard....a big producer like him trying to lift a little guy like me up...that's class. He loves the bee business and is greatly concerned about it. He's old fashioned in that he adheres to the idea that "beekeepers help beekeepers", but he fears some of the *good* old ways are disappearing. I guess it's just like in many other things...changes happen...some good, some not so good.

Anyhow, he's currently knee deep in bees and sorting out what he's coming out of winter with...some areas look good and some look so-so. Lastly, he told me to tell everybody hello for him so here it is...."hello for him"....so there, I said it. ;)

Ed

PS...BTW, he's still opinionated and says what's on his mind. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to hear ole Ted is doing ok. Hope to hear from him again on here. Nothing wrong with speaking your mind when you know what you are talking about. ;)

#4 ·
Didn't know about the spider bite. Glad to hear he is doing better - at least good enough that he can get back to work. Ted is really good about helping the new guys get going and offering a bit of an education. If he still allows newbees to work with him for a few days and you have not taken advantage of it, I'd encourage you to do so. It will give you a good look at commercial/industrial beekeeping -- a far, far cry from what most of us practice but a great window for seeing the "bigger picture".

I hope I'll be able to make one of the Alabama meetings this year and visit with him.

-js

#6 ·
<snip> If he still allows newbees to work with him for a few days and you have not taken advantage of it, I'd encourage you to do so. It will give you a good look at commercial/industrial beekeeping -- a far, far cry from what most of us practice but a great window for seeing the "bigger picture".
<snip>
-js
I can only imagine the differences between my little hobby yard and his operation. He and I were talking and I thought I'd ask a "educated" :rolleyes: question... "Ted, do you use solid bottom boards or pallets?". There was a slight pause and then "Uh, well we use pallets and move'em with fork lifts". Yelp, a little difference between his operation and mine! :) One of these days I'm going climb those hills and go see him....

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.