Default Selling honey with another beekeeper

I helped someone get started with bees a few years back. We have discussed off and on about selling honey from his place with a self service stand. He lives on a busy road so the traffic is there. I live in a subdivision that does not have traffic. I would have to build the self service stand which is fine by me. We would put a sign out front advertising local honey. Has anyone ever done a partnership like this and how did it work out. I would definitely like to push more honey in order to expand my empire or at least help support my beekeeping habit. Thanks for anyone's help.

Default Re: Selling honey with another beekeeper

I know a beekeeper who does it this way he does not even use a lock box. my brother in new England tried self serve for vegetables at his house about 3 miles from the family farm store. it was a disaster. every thing stolen as soon as he turned his back, cash boxes stolen, cash box padlocked to shelf: shelf ripped out and gone. local police unable to help. many people have had success with this but try it and see.

I've has expensive tools stolen from me WHILE I was using them. You are actually advertising to be robbed if you do this. The easiest thing I have ever done is sell honey. My first year selling, I sold every drop (at a premium) and could have sold five times more if I had it. Once the word got out, it disappeared. I have never had any left over, never advertised, and never put up a booth or stand.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

In over 30 years I have only been robbed twice. Neighbor boy was one, he got a whopping and had to work for me free for two weeks. Nicest kid in the neighborhood now.
    As far as partnering, I have my honey in three locations besides the house stand.

Where I live, there are too many rotten toothed meth heads that wont work and are waiting to steal you blind. You would get robbed just on principle here tomkat!
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Quote Originally Posted by djei5 View Post
    Where I live, there are too many rotten toothed meth heads that wont work and are waiting to steal you blind. You would get robbed just on principle here tomkat!
    Note to self - cancel vacation plans to Elizabethton, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Salesi View Post
    Note to self - cancel vacation plans to Elizabethton, TN
    LOL, actually a beautiful place to visit, only about two hours from Gatlinburg.
    Two years ago I was looking to buy a house, I go into a foreclosed home and the meth zombies had cut all the copper plumbing out of the basement.

I was born in Waukegan, Il. it isn't any better.
    Other hobby is reloading a lot off bullets....I don't have problems very close...

You probably won't have a problem most of the time. But, it only takes one incident to make it hurt.

It has been a long time since I have been to Elwood. I imagine things have changed a lot. My family farms just north of Wilmington. There was a day we had our PYO tomato fields bring in $200 on a good day self-serve. We would only do it during soybean harvest. I suppose we could have lost some money, more likely bushels of tomatoes not being paid for.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by djei5 View Post
    LOL, actually a beautiful place to visit, only about two hours from Gatlinburg.
    Two years ago I was looking to buy a house, I go into a foreclosed home and the meth zombies had cut all the copper plumbing out of the basement.

I was born in Waukegan, Il. it isn't any better.
    Other hobby is reloading a lot off bullets....I don't have problems very close...
    I was raised in Grayslake, IL not far from the big metropolis of Waukegan.

I just did a trap out in Wilmington, IL. Elwood has not changed much but ever since they built the intermodal facility just West, it is nothing but truck traffic. We are thinking about moving somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    You probably won't have a problem most of the time. But, it only takes one incident to make it hurt.

It has been a long time since I have been to Elwood. I imagine things have changed a lot. My family farms just north of Wilmington. There was a day we had our PYO tomato fields bring in $200 on a good day self-serve. We would only do it during soybean harvest. I suppose we could have lost some money, more likely bushels of tomatoes not being paid for.

Tom

Is your biggest concern theft from the stand or dealing with the partnership?
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/