View Poll Results: Which option should I go with?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it and replace occasionally.

0 0%
  • Allow the bees a much larger entrance.

8 100.00%
  • Seal it up (safely - in some way).

0 0%

Default Am I ready to reduce the reduction?

I've noticed that now that warmer weather has incited a new level of activity among my bees, and I've kept the entrance reducer down to the lowest setting to promote a more uniform, steady flow of bees in and out and better control of ventilation. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure yet as to which), they have noticed that I've been suppressing their traffic flow and are starting to rebel by slowly removing the reducer from its spot at the front of the hive and breaking the propolis seal, most likely to push the entire reducer out, which I don't really want. I suppose at this point I have a few options:

1. I could allow them to keep pushing it out and repeatedly replace it every time it gets too far out to let bees to crawl out.
    2. I could move it to the next higher setting and allow them a much larger opening, but discourage the slow movement of the reducer itself.
    3. I could somehow seal the crack they're trying to create and reluctantly permamently solve the problem by forcing the reducer to stay put (any safe, simple, not-too-committing ideas?)

Default Re: Am I ready to reduce the reduction?

I've got one hive that pushed the reducer out when it started to warm up. Obviously they want better access and/ or ventilation. They pushed it right off the landing board onto the grass, and I left it there.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    I've got one hive that pushed the reducer out when it started to warm up. Obviously they want better access and/ or ventilation. They pushed it right off the landing board onto the grass, and I left it there.
    Amusing, bees are so smart!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    They pushed it right off the landing board onto the grass, and I left it there.
    Or perhaps you were visited by a skunk?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I have mine open now to the larger setting but not fully out. They were so clogged that there was a huge pileup at the front door. For a few nights I went back and turned it to the smallest during the night, but now I'm just leaving it on the larger one all the time. I figure with that many bees hauling in pollen, they need all the help they can get.

Seems like they are trying to tell you something...
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

If your reducer is like mine it is a one inch opening, and then a three inch. If they are getting jammed up they are wasting energy, and so I would say go to the three inch. You won't be hurting anything. Sometimes I use wooden blocks instead of entrance reducers.

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    Or perhaps you were visited by a skunk?
    There are no skunks on Vancouver Island. It was the first really nice warm sunny day we had in months, and that hive was in direct sun. The reducer was in place when I looked out over my 'wake up coffee' from the back deck. It was in the grass when I walked outside mid afternoon to see if they were bringing anything in.

It might be the bees pushing it out, or it might be some animal pulling it out. But if you feel the need to protect them from robbing, a screen stapled over most of the entrance will be more effective anyway. #8 is best, but old screen door screen will work.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It might be the bees pushing it out, or it might be some animal pulling it out. But if you feel the need to protect them from robbing, a screen stapled over most of the entrance will be more effective anyway. #8 is best, but old screen door screen will work.
    I loves me that #8 hardware cloth. I have several of them at different lengths for different levels of activity. (Easy for me to do since they are in my back yard.) I have them bent into an < shape and I just stick them into the opening at whatever length I seem to need. Easy to insert; easy to take out and change. I have one that will only let one bee in. And another that is 2 bees wide. Then I take a big jump up to 3/4 of the opening and then about 1/2 the opening. And I've used them all when robbing seems to be setting in. A trick I'm glad I learned! Also great for when it's one of our 110-degree days...better airflow.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment