Default Mann Lake bee variety? What is it?

I dont' know quite where to put this, but does anybody know what the "Italian southern gal" bees Mann Lake sells are? Everybody here buys them and picks them up (5 hour drive), but none overwinter well and I wondered are they truly Italian and require more feeding than people are doing, or maybe Minnesota Italian Hygenics and nobody is good at overwintering in our cold climate
    I am going to call tomorrow as they are not responding to any e-mails.

Default Re: Mann Lake bee variety? What is it?

Living as far north as you, i would be looking for Carniolan or Russian bees, they do better in norther climates.

I hope that's not true. I will be getting mann lake packages come spring. Maybe some queen rearing from carni stock is warranted.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope this is wrong also - my SIL buys hers every year and is SURE they are Golden Italian and I asked why are they bringing those into our insane winter and she said she never thought about it before.
    I know our NE MN bee club buys a lot from Mann Lake so I am asking them tomorrow what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    I hope that's not true. I will be getting mann lake packages come spring. Maybe some queen rearing from carni stock is warranted.

Yes, they are regular Italian. The beekeeping association in Duluth tells me many of their members order from Mann Lake and are very happy with them (out of the other 5 places they order from the Mann Lake always do the best), so depending on where you are located it might not be a bad thing for you.
    I have located Carnolian and Russian and am going that direction instead I think as I need all the help I can get.

Don't get me wrong, Italians are good honey producers,what i don't like about them is the queen doesn't know when to quit laying in the fall. If there is no fall fiow (like most years in my area) they go into the winter with to big a cluster for their stores. Then you have to feed heavy or they starve. They are more pron to rob than any other breed i've had. Russian and Carnolian go into winter wjth smaller clusters and take less stores. JMHO

Yes, as I said several people east of us are happy with their Italian, but I would prefer a little less food requirements and hardier bee hoping to combat my inexperience
    Thank you for your recommendations also - we have to buy packages regardless in our area and they all arrive within 24 hours so I can choose a different variety that I *think* will suit me better. BUT having said that, I did get a package of Italian LOL

You can always requeen later this summer once queens become easier to get.

Could not find anything on their site

Does Mann Lake raise their bees? Or do they buy they from a large commercial operation?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Could not find anything on their site

Does Mann Lake raise their bees? Or do they buy they from a large commercial operation?
    They bring them in from California I believe. I can at least tell you with 100% certainty that they do not raise their own.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    They bring them in from California I believe. I can at least tell you with 100% certainty that they do not raise their own.
    Thats what I thought

Yes, they do not raise their own but have a shipment come in once from California and then distribute them.