Default Stimulating bees

Got a question about 1:1 feed this early in the year. I don't stimulate at all, but I am trying to understand the process. I got the why I think. Commerials so they can have huge numbers of bees, or someone wanting to have a strong hive for a honey crop, yes?

But to me it seems a little early to bee doing that for Zone 7 with 30 degree nights. Won't that still put a lot of moisture in the hive without them being able to convert it to honey? (Yes, I know this is not really honey...) Or CAN they convert it because we have some warm days here and there? Or does it not matter whether it's converted because they are just using it as feed?

Related to having syrup in the hive, if a hive is starving, is syrup okay this time of year for THAT? Or better the MCM method? Days right now are 50s and 60s, nights in 20s and 30s.

Thanks...
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Default Re: Stimulating bees

Seymore,i'm in SW. Mo. and your weather is alittle warmer, i would go with the mountain camp feeding until the weather stays in the 60 F to 70 F range. The bees won't take syrup when temp. is 45 F and under. The Maples and willows are usually buding out by now here, but not this year.

Thanks, BBF. So, nighttime temps aren't really an issue then?
    8fr medium equipment

Yes, nighttime temp. does matter. If they are short on stores they will be in the top super (if there is one) by putting sugar on the frames above the cluster they can access it easy and it also keeps condensation off them. Do you have a top vent on your hives?

Many people agree that bees won't take syrup unless the syrup is at least 50 degrees. But syrup doesn't warm up as fast as the outdoor air, so cold nights may result in chilled syrup even though daytime air temperatures are above 50 degrees.

If it is warm enough to feed syrup at this time of year, the goal would be for the bees to use it up for their daily needs, not to store it.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    ...Do you have a top vent on your hives?
    I have a top entrance and a bottom entrance. Is that weird?
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Many people agree that bees won't take syrup unless the syrup is at least 50 degrees. But syrup doesn't warm up as fast as the outdoor air, so cold nights may result in chilled syrup even though daytime air temperatures are above 50 degrees.

If it is warm enough to feed syrup at this time of year, the goal would be for the bees to use it up for their daily needs, not to store it.
    Graham, so the temps in the 60s MAY warm it up enough for them to eat it, I can see that as a maybe feed syrup. I forget about the fact the syrup taking time to warm up. So it sounds to me like you are agreeing - MCM would be best with temps still dropping in the high 20s to high 30s.

Thanks for the input everyone!
    8fr medium equipment