Default radish pollination

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with pollinating radishes? I have been approached by a farmer who is planning to plant 100 acres of radishes. The radishes are to produce seed which is then to be sold and used as cover crop plantings. This is their second year planting radishes with no bees last year. I don't really care to get into pollinating, but am at least a little curious and possibly interested in this venture. The radish crop will be next to a lot of CRP containing alfalfa & some other blooming plantings in it. Along with the CRP is some possibility of acres of wild yellow clover hopefully also nearby. I understand the radishes' bloom period is mid-May to early June. June is about when our clover gets deeply started blooming in this region, which is why I thought this may possibly be a good mix for me to experiment with. Any suggestions? How many acres/hive or hives/acre does this crop require? Thanks- Greg
    Don't confuse me with facts... my mind is made up.

Default Re: radish pollination

Greg, i don't know how many hives per acre on radishes, i would think 3 to 4 hives wouid work. I put out radish in the garden an let it go to seed, the bees are all over them and after the go to seed (the pods turn brown) i mow them down and get a fall crop.As you probably know, you can plant things that bees like, but if there is something else blooming they like better? Well like they say, Bees will be bees and do as they please.

Thanks for the reply. I am not at all into pollinating services. That said, I would be interested if there are nectar producing plantings nearby. Not having 300 colonies to experiment with, I may take one or two dozen over there after we inspect the location to see what really is there. Could be a bust or???
    Don't confuse me with facts... my mind is made up.

If the farmer is wanting you to pollinate strictly radishes, then i would suggest moving them there right before the bloom. This will give the hives no other option to gather from because they wont know the location. This is what i would do if the farmer was paying for a pollination service. If you are just interested in the native flowering plants next to him, i wouldn't charge him a thing and just ask if you can put the bees nearby. However putting the bees among the radishes and going for the native plants opens your bees up to the possibility of getting sprayed which would cause more work for you. My suggestion, decide if you want any part of the radishes or not, then place hives accordingly. Thanks Zak