Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This picture makes me sick

we wonder why our bees are unhealthy
    http://www.bluediamond.com/applicati...uth2LRG258.jpg

lots of open bloom and blue skys

even if it was early morning when this picture was taken the bees will still get a good dose of fungicide which i am sure they could do without.

Default Re: This picture makes me sick

I was told Paramount does not spray fungicide while the bees are there anymore. can anyone confirm?

What about the guy spraying the stuff, imagine breathing that fog all day long. John

Well just because you see a sprayer going through the orchard doesnt mean it makes anybody sick! Even organic growers own a spray rig and apply organic chemicals to their trees. This year a lot of growers will not need to spray fungicides during bloom since we have had such a dry Jan and Feb. I for example plan on doing a spray at the end of the bloom that is only nutrients.

There are many growers who do not apply any fungicides or insecticides during bloom!

Please also remember that most bees come out of almonds very strong and need to be split afterwards - so be careful with statements like : Quote : "we wonder why our bees are unhealthy"

hey ralf get serious.

I highly doubt the largest almond grower in the state isnt going to protect their crop!

I don't know if it were my bees I don't want them exposed to any chemicals even if they are presumably bee safe .
    /Day and night with all your might /

Do we know what is being sprayed?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

If the picture makes people sick, without knowledge of what they are spraying, perhaps the photographer should be brought up on charges.

I agree with you ralf,

do the almond growers not tell beekeepers what their spraying intentions are?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

In Almondralf's defense, if you don't know what is being sprayed, how can you complain that it is toxic to bees?

Boron, for instance, is applied to almonds, sometimes at pink bud stage. Boron is not an insecticide or a fungicide, but is a foliar fertilizer absorbed through the tree foliage. That means is is sprayed on the leaves of the tree!

• Bloom is the key time for good B levels in almonds. Fall or pink bud are the best times for boron sprays. Full bloom boron foliar spray may reduce yield. Gradually increase B fertilizer rates if you are not satisfied with your current program. Excessive B fertilization can dramatically reduce yield.
    • http://www.agalert.com/story/?id=1262
    According to this site, Boron has no specific toxicity to honeybees.
    http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...Rec_Id=PC33752

Of course, if you spray enough water on bees they will die, but does mean water is toxic in your definition?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I was at a meeting this evening, where Gorden Wardell, the bee biologist for Paramount Farms, spoke. He stated that Paramount does not spray anything when bees are in the orchards. Gordon is a beekeeper, and current president of our local club (South Valley Bee Club). He was one of several speakers tonight at a meeting in Shafter,
    where about 100 beekeepers were present, to hear and discuss several situations regarding beekeeping problems.
    Spraying fungicide was one of the topics. I came away with the impression that any spraying, due to other ingredients, even if the fungicide is supposed to be harmless to bees, can be disastrous to bees. One instance was the finding that the ingredient (I can't think of the word) to carry and make the mixture adhere was a bee killing culprit. Part of his explanation why Paramount has stopped spraying anything during almond bloom, was that tests they have done, find that the trees produce better without the bees being bothered as they do their job. This is over simplification of his statements, but it is the gist of it.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

if you send bees to almonds you would know that they are spraying synthetic fungicide and you would also know that it is not the best thing for them. or just read here
    http://www.bluediamond.com/applicati...orchardID=1370

growers better pay big next year or they can hire humans like china, because the bees wont beeeeeee available

>if you send bees to almonds you would know that they are spraying synthetic fungicide<

Yes you do. You know they are going to spray if its needed to protect the bloom from the fungus. You would too if it was your livelihood. We all know this stuff can be hard on bees. And we know that if they spray late in the day or at night, it lessens the damage.

The growers problem is if he has a lot of acres and limited time to get the job done, he's gonna spray when he can. So for us its a risk assessment: Is the damage so severe that the pollination money doesn't cover it? In 36 years of going to almonds I have to say No its not.

The only alternative is to stay home if you think its too hard on the bees.They aren't going to quit spraying fungicides.

I remember the first time I was in an orchard checking bees when the spray rig came by. Before that the trees were alive with bees, after the trees were sprayed it was silent. I remember thinking "This guy just screwed up his pollination for the day. " But I guess he knew that and weighed that against losing his crop to disease.

The only alternative is to stay home if you think its too hard on the bees.They aren't going to quit spraying fungicides.[/QUOTE]

yes that is true.

but if the stuff is not good for the bees and the bees are sooo important to the almond growers..... maybe things will have to change with the times.
    and maybe that change will be hiring all the out of work humans to go run around with a pollen brush.

if it were 16 year old kids pollinating those blossoms would they spray them with fungicides to ?

I am left wondering if growers, like beekeepers, have a lot of different philosophies on the issue of spraying vs. not spraying or this chemical vs. that chemical. Is there a bit of paranoia in the decision making process or are these decisions pretty straightforward from a management standpoint?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    >The growers problem is if he limited time to get the job done, he's gonna spray when he can.
    Ours is going on this morning. I was hoping that it would be scheduled once the bloom is a little closer to being over as that is better for the bees from a forage perspective. It not free to put on trust me. From a growers perspective the difference in its use and non use can make a big difference in production. At 5k a bin for shelled nuts most folks wont take the risk.

No one makes the bee guy show up for pollination. When the economic alternative is superior every prudent person chooses the best return vs risk over the long run. Why do you think more bees stayed in Florida this year. 2+ buck honey makes it a lot easier decision to stay put than have your bees meet the sprayer. ( not that they don't spray in the oranges also)

Not sure if there is any conclusive proof the fungicides by themselves are a culprit in bee demise. (to this point) The additives like the IGR"S have been noted to be an issue recently. The bees do like to abstain from the fields once it goes on.

For those who are to young to remember the bees used to go into the almonds for either free or just a few bucks. The build up on them was / is so superior the Old timers nearly did it for free in the early 50's and 60's. When is the last time your grower charged you for the almond pollen used to build your bees. WE are paid to SET NUTS... not build bees.......... although that does occur if you have been paying attention.

If your not happy with those parameters find another source of income

Hey Jimmy, this pic was taken last week, would you have benstung send that spray rig over here these things are getting out of hand. Heck that CCD is out of control again.
    http://youtu.be/PYbLbhZXizY
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast