Default Migratory Covers

I am considering making all of my new hives with Migratory Covers. Pro's and Con's of doing this? I won't be really moving the hives around, but I am thinking that from a cost and simplicity point it makes sense.

Input would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike Harrell
    Zone 9B - First Hive April 17, 2014

Default Re: Migratory Covers

Pros - no inner cover for SHB to hide - they stack up on a truck better if you do have to move them. - Simple to build

Cons - they require top bee space to keep the bees from gluing them down. Mann Lake Pfxxx frames don't provide top bee space in standard 5/8 rabbetts. If you use migratory covers, make sure the frame ears and rabbetts are properly designed for top bee space. The only other thing I would note is that they last decades longer if you put a piece of sheet metal on top held down by large rocks.
    NW Alabama, 47 years, 22 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Like Sakhoney said, with no inner cover the small hive beetles have no where to hide. It has been the best way I have found for fighting the small hive beetles, even more so if your hives are in full sun. Hope this helps.

I have been using the MC (migratory cover) since day one.
    The reason was I bought 2 mean hives with extra MCs home.
    Now I improved on them a little to turn them into the HMOAVG with
    a big hole on the bottom. The solid ones can be instantly turn into a hive
    bottom board for an emergency split. You can assemble the wooden rails on it
    before hand. I made mine out of the 1/2" LP composite
    particle chips board or what is commonly called house siding boards. Your local blue and
    orange store should carry them. Go for the thicker boards if you want to.
    First step is to give it another coat of water proofing sealer. I like to Thompson water sealer.
    Then 1 coat of the latex paint to seal all the crevices in. You can stain the board with your
    favorite color afterward. I like to use the redwood fence stains. Follow by another round of polyurethane
    to coat over the latex. Finally a coat of the boiled linseed oil for a glowing finish. Should last 4 seasons or more
    without any issue.

1/2" LP boards for MCs:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I only use sheets of 3/4 plywood that are painted. No issues with getting glued down. It gets sticky but it's a good thing. $3 vs $40. I'm good with that.

I am trying these, with shims and the entrance reducer as he describes. Only had them on a few weeks so far, but I like what I see. I am comparing with one hive that has a traditional MC. The MC gets glued down with a little brace comb, but is no big deal. The "home-made" covers get glued down along the edges to the walls of the hive with propolis but that just makes me feel like the cover will be less likely to break loose in wind.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

First I quit using inner covers then experimented with using a few migratory covers.
    I'd built some bottoms and had just the right width left on a sheet for two migratory covers.
    My SHB problems got less by eliminating thi IC's and even less with the MC's.
    Seriously thinking hard about phasing out telescoping covers.
    The only drawback I can see for my area is that I'll have to insulate the tops of hives before wrapping them up for winter. I'll just set a piece of foam on top weighed down with a brick.
    There are a couple hives I have where the space is a little tight and the covers get glued on. That's what the hive tool is for.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron