Default The slot in the inner cover?

Why is there a slot in the Langstroth inner cover design? Does it have a specific purpose?
    Keep on keepin' bees

Default Re: The slot in the inner cover?

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Girl's Boy View Post
    Why is there a slot in the Langstroth inner cover design? Does it have a specific purpose?
    http://honeybeesuite.com/escape-boar...es-from-honey/

There's a separate part you buy and install it as an escape for honey harvesting.

I use a 3" hole (75mm) in the centre of my inner cover/crown board/top board to assist with ventilation through the hive. When used with a mesh base floor you can get a chimney effect through the hive giving the bees fresh air. Bees like oxygen as well you know! It also helps when taking the lid off the hive during an inspection and seeing what activity there is in the top box before removing the inner cover. Can also give them a puff of smoke through the hole to warn them ' beekeeper coming, do not be afraid'

I put them in mine with screen and depending on the hive some seal it shut. This year i'm using feeders that sit over that hole and allow feeding without opening the hive at all. so.......better to put them even if you just screen them off.
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb

Great answers all, but I should have been more specific- does anyone know why Rev Langstroth designed the inner cover for his hive with a slot in it?
    Keep on keepin' bees

The slot was not in Langstroth's hive. The slot is an add on after the Porter's Bee Escape was introduced. Porter's escape is the one with the spring system that opens and closes as the bee passes through. It was a common method of bee removal until the chemical fume boards became popular. The slot was cut to the shape of Porter's escape and is still done in that manner, but most beekeepers now use the slot for ventilation or for a method of feeding through the top with feed buckets.
    40 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

There we go! I knew I could get what I was looking for- I just need to work on being clearer about what I'm asking for.
    Keep on keepin' bees

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Girl's Boy View Post
    There we go! I knew I could get what I was looking for- I just need to work on being clearer about what I'm asking for.
    I guess you totally overlooked my post then.