Default Should I remove the entrance blocker open it up some?

IMG_5770.JPGIMG_5767.JPG
    Checked on the newly relocated hive today. I saw a flurry of activity was around it.Temp was 56 F From the picture does it look like I need to remove the entrance reducer or at least make it smaller so they have a larger entrance.
    They are also bringing in pollen. I saw one poor girl laying on the ground dead with pollen bags full. Hate to see that. They are also consuming from the feeder in mass quantities as I saw several bubbles come up in the short few minutes I was there.
    For those of you that put a branch in front of th entrance when you relocate can I go ahead and get rid of it?

Default Re: Should I remove the entrance blocker open it up some?

The branch makes them re-orientate themselves after their moved, which they've done. I would remove the branch but leave the reducer. I've heard entrance feeders can cause trouble with robbing that's why I'd leave it on till your done feeding. When they stop taking syrup give them more room by pivoting the reducer so they have a little larger area for them to come and go.

Are they in a deep and a reversed super?

Agreed - on the removing of branch.

Question on the feeding... I was told "once you start feeding, don't stop." I thought about that today - dont stop. Ever?? Of course not. But when? Feed until white wax caps start showing or till they stop taking it?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Taking it. When something better comes along they'll divert their attention to it. Don't forget that protein is just as important as syrup for brood rearing. Syrup makes cells and pollen makes babies.

Pollen has never seemed to be a problem in my neck of the woods. Woooo hooo - there's ONE thing I dont have to worry about!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    The branch makes them re-orientate themselves after their moved, which they've done. I would remove the branch but leave the reducer. I've heard entrance feeders can cause trouble with robbing that's why I'd leave it on till your done feeding. When they stop taking syrup give them more room by pivoting the reducer so they have a little larger area for them to come and go.

Are they in a deep and a reversed super?
    They were a swarm someone gave me that swarmed into a stack of stored supers with frames but no comb, so I have moved them placed a deep on top and once they move up into the deep that has foundation and get a few frames of brood going I am going to put an excluded on top of the two supers. Once the brood in the supers hactches I am going to remove them and cut out the comb that is probably going all over the place. Then hopefully it will be back to normal bee keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
    Pollen has never seemed to be a problem in my neck of the woods. Woooo hooo - there's ONE thing I dont have to worry about!
    My girls are gathering pollen like it's on sale. I even found a dead one outside the hive with it's pollen bags full, so sad it got wasted
    IMG_5772.JPG