Default Is this Chalkbrood? Wax Moths?

I opened up a hive today to check it out, haven't been in it in a month. The hive has two deeps and a medium super on top for feed. 4/5 of the bees were in the middle deep, about 1/5 were in the top super. There were a few cells in the top deep that looked to be full of mold. These cells were not around brood, but are in and near uncapped honey (or sugar syrup).

I went into the bottom deep and found lots of these "moldy" cells. It is different colors, most of it is white and green. I think I also saw signs of wax moths in one frame (spider web looking) as you can see if one of the pictures.

One frame had lots of white powdery mold, looks like condensation maybe was dripping down the frame? The bottom board had this chalky "fluffy" mold looking substance. If you blow on it it would blow away sort of like a heavy powder.

Any idea what is going on here? I removed the bottom deep. Thanks for any help, pics to come next

Default Re: Is this Chalkbrood? Wax Moths?

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mold not chalkbrood.
    Some brood cappings look sunken. You may want to make sure you don't have AFB.

Looks like moldy pollen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Looks like moldy pollen.
    Thanks. Should moldy frames be trashed?

Let them dry up and the mold will stop growing and then put them on the hive when it is expanding and the frames will be cleaned right up

What kind of ventilation do you have in that hive? I'm wondering if increased ventilation wouldn't give the bees a boost in getting the hive cleaned up and back into shape. Is that a spider web?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    What kind of ventilation do you have in that hive? I'm wondering if increased ventilation wouldn't give the bees a boost in getting the hive cleaned up and back into shape. Is that a spider web?
    The bottom opening is big enough for 2-3 bees. I'm going to open it up tomorrow. There is an opening on the top under cover and I keep the lid pushed forward for ventilation. The bottom opening was probably choking the hive.

A strong hive will quickly clean it up. The question is why was it molding... probably you needed a top vent to let the moisture out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF