Thread: Buckfast bees

Default Buckfast bees

Does anyone have Buckfast Bees and if so what is your experience? I have a hive of Buckfast started from a package last year from Weaver Apiaries in Texas and they survived the winter in great shape, but they are very aggressive. I wonder if there are other sources for Buckfast packages? Also, I was thinking of making a split from the Buckfast to have the virgin queen mate with gentle Italian drones. All comments appreciated.

Default Re: Buckfast bees

I am going to get a couple queens from Canada. A group in Michigan is doing a group purchase and I am joining in but the queens are pickup only. Weaver is in AHB territory so I decided against getting the queens from them. I am just a beginner but from what I have read Buckfast bees can be more aggressive when crossed, especially to Italians. They are already a hybrid and unwanted traits can come out.

Do a search on the queen breeding forum and you should find several threads on the subject of Buckfast bees.

Below is a link to a member's website who sales Buckfast queens. I have had no personal experience with his bees but I have heard some good reports. Check it out for yourself. Email him w/questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.danskfarms.com/servlet/th...USA-For/Detail
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I have used Buckfast bees for several years, as have some commercial beekeepers in Florida. Our queens did not come from or through Texas. They are as gentle as any other bee I have worked. They were no more defensive when open mated either.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

i have two BWeaver hives, one HoneyBeeGenetics hive and one captured swarm (new). The Weaver bees vary, one filled one deep and four supers in the first year, one about half that and the HBG hive was very much less. To be fair the HBG hive is a TBH and the others are Langs. The Weaver bees are aggressive when the hives are filled but to me they are workable.
    I am looking forward to working with the wild swarm, no telling what I have got there, they built a ten comb nest in the open and lived there almost a year.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

David Miska
    13404 Honeycomb Road
    Groveland, FL 34736
    352-429-3447

> they are very aggressive

Exactly my last experience with Buckfasts from Texas...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you search the forum, you will find tons of info. This question comes up all the time.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions on Buckfast Bees. I am planning to re-queen using more gentle Buckfast Queens.

Well, let us know how it works out.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Thumbs Up Re: Buckfast bees

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    -snip- I have a hive of Buckfast started from a package last year from Weaver Apiaries in Texas and they survived the winter in great shape, but they are very aggressive. -snip-
    I too prefer more docile bees. Have you been around many colonies to know the range of aggressiveness available to you? I have RWeaver Buckfast & BWeaver bees too. They are average in aggressiveness, about the same as bees I had in the 70's and 80's. They do quite a bit of head butting and do have the odd gaurd bee set on stinging me, but its nothing to panic about. They both wintered well with plenty of stores left this week.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)