Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Top Bar Hive Construction Question

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  taydeko 
#1 ·
Howdie. I just signed up so I could post a question I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I'm just starting to learn about beekeeping and was looking at purchasing or making a top bar hive. I watched some videos on top bar hives on Youtube and realized I have what looks like a raised metal bunk feeder for an herb garden or something of the like, about chest high almost. It was left at the house I'm at. It is just about exactly the same size and shape as a top bar hive but maybe a few feet longer. My question is this, never having had a hive before, is there any reason I would NOT be able to use that metal stand and just lay some wood bars on the top and cut an entrance in the bottom for the bees? I guess I'm not sure if there is reason metal can't be used as the base. All the ones I have seen were all wood. I'm thinking the metal might not insulate them well enough maybe, but I have no idea. If that's the case, I could line it with wood perhaps. I wish I had a picture, but really, it just looks exactly like a top bar hive on a taller stand, without the bars on the top. Any suggestions on whether that may or may not work?

#3 ·
I think the winter would be the really difficult part unless it's lined with insulation of some kind either inside or out. I heard that long ago when they tried to use aluminum foundation, even that wicked enough warmth away from the cluster that it didn't work in winter climates.

#5 ·
I have a top bar hive and would suggest you build out of untreated wood and leave the metal alone. Way too many issues to overcome. Screened bottom boards can also be implemented in top bar hive construction that improves ventilation and the bees don't have to work so hard to stay cool during the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.