Default Why do bees like my wood lot?

I have a wood lot, with cut and split wood in it, plus sawdust. The bees dig through the sawdust and seem to be biting pieces off the logs. What are they doing?
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

Default Re: Why do bees like my wood lot?

Looking for pollen. Search for pollen threads or coffee threads. Plenty to go on.

They are harvesting propolis. Anytime wood is cut, tiny drops of sap forms that the bees use to make propolis.

They might actually be eating the sawdust though I don't know for sure. Torula yeast is commonly used as a pollen supplement and torula yeast is a wood by-product.

I had a warm day in January and my bees were all over a fresh mulch pile. The pile was hackberry and chipped green just days before. I was chipping red cedar that day and only a few bees would get on that pile. Makes me believe the rule about not using red cedar for hives. I'm certainly using it for mulch.
    I would have to agree with ScubaMark, I think they like the sap.

What kind of wood?
    I've seen them licking up sap off of a maple stump.

sugar (from sap), propolis (from sap), water (soaked into the wood), sawdust (as pollen)
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It's dry aspen. I don't know if there is much sap or water in it.
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

I have a large stump on which I place a salt block to attract wildlife for photos that my wife takes. The stump is hollowed out in part all the way into the roots. The bees are all over it going down under the stump to the roots. The first time I saw this was last spring and at first I thought it was a swarm but no. I imagine they are just getting the minerals.