Default I hate this weather! Spring cannot come quick enough in the Northeast.

So my plan was to pop open some of my weak hives briefly to make sure the emergency sugar was holding up. Dang weather. Originally it was supposed to be partly sunny and in the 40's, not cloudy, breezy and in the 30's. Crud. I am more worried now then I was in January. I think more hives are lost between Feb-April than Nov-Jan.

Grrrrr.

Yeah yeah I am sure the folks in Vermont would say I have nothing to complain about.

How is everyone else fairing?

Default Re: I hate this weather! Spring cannot come quick enough in the Northeast.

This year is just driving me nutty i hate FEB. last year was so nice had my first swarm MAY first i don't think it will be that early this year.
    We are going to have temps in the 40s come thursday and i'm going to top off 4 of my 12 hives with sugar that are light .I can't wait till spring.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: I hate this weather! Spring cannot come quick enough in the Northeast.

We went from cold to warm to cold again. Last year I had already done two splits by now. This year I have barely been able to pop the top. Luckily I haven't had to feed but one of my four.
    Looks like we may finally be warming to about 60 by Sat. That happened about three weeks ago too, so no telling if it will last.

You are right, I have nothing to complain about, we got snow that was nothing more than a dusting and lasted about a day. I just don't like the cold.

I am in CT as well, and had 4 hives in the fall. Two strong and two somewhat weak. As of yesterday the only one surviving is the one I thought was the weakest! This has been a long tough winter, tougher than the past few since we really haven't had any really good warm days. We usually get a few here or there. I packed the one hive left with new honey, and hopefully that will keep them good for a while. Fingers crossed...

Hey CTBEEGUY, Sorry to here that! I may be in the same boat but I hope not. A week ago my hives were still going. I lost quite a few though since December. I am just hoping to get out of this winter with enough to do some splits.

You've got nothing to complain about. I don't expect to even get into my hives until mid April at the earliest. And yes I'm hearing the occasional report about bees flying. The weather has been weird this year, that is for sure. 38 degrees F tonight.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Just to make you jealous, yesterday was calm, sunny and 75 degrees here in my area of CA! Rain coming Wednesday though.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I knew I would rile up the northern folks! It's gonna be 24 here tonight Hey Andrew what section of coastal Maine are you from? I used to spend my summers as a kid in Bar Harbor and Freeport. Things have changed a lot up there since the late 70's!

I'm North of Bar Harbor by roughly an hour. I used to live in Southwest Harbor (on the other side of Mount Desert Island from Bar Harbor) I'm now in Jonesboro, about 15 miles south of Machias.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Only high 30's this past weekend. Did a humm test on all 4 hives. They all sound great. I'm starting to worry a little now too. I know that they still have plenty of stores, but they arent' reaching them. With Saturday's forecast to be 50F, I will be removing the tar paper on the hives so that I can get a grease patty and some pollen granules just above the brood. Last year in the Pocono Mts. during the month of March, we had 16 days about 60F and 8 days above 70F. Doesn't look like we will match that this year.

On the bright side, I haven't been seeing a lot of dead bees at the entrances or on the bottom boards. I will definitely be doing at least 3 splits this Spring. My plans are to keep the 4 original hives as Italians and change the splits over to Carnolians.

What is the coldest that you have opened your hives without regret? We had a couple of low to mid-40F days recently and I was tempted to pop a lid on one of them, but I didn't want to bee making a mistake and regreat it later. I have been seeing sign of cleansing flights on or around the hives.

We don't have ice, snow or freezing temperatures but OTOH we do have long cold wind wipped rain sodden winters. Its wet here. Surviving the winter is one thing, surviving the spring, long rainy days when they can't get out is even more challenging. Got my first 5.1 through and they have capped brood. Cheers.

I've popped then cover at 40 and quickly added some additional sugar or patty. Never below that. I need to get in them though and today it made it to 40 but it was real windy. Can't win!