Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: So what are you brewing?

I learned the hardway about sorbate. It was back in about 1990 and my first batch of mead. I bottled about 25 bottles and stored them away in the basement rack. about 6 months later I came home to the smell of alcohol in the house. about 10 of these had blown there corks and emptied on the floor. I took one up to the kitchen gently tried to open it with a cork screw. Well about 1/2 way out it blew the cork and a stream of mead hit the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I learned the hardway about sorbate. It was back in about 1990 and my first batch of mead. I bottled about 25 bottles and stored them away in the basement rack. about 6 months later I came home to the smell of alcohol in the house. about 10 of these had blown there corks and emptied on the floor. I took one up to the kitchen gently tried to open it with a cork screw. Well about 1/2 way out it blew the cork and a stream of mead hit the ceiling.
    I think a lot of us have been there..... I made wine and beer before I started making mead and never had a problem..... My first batch of mead had a very similar result even after I thought I had stabilized it..... First time I really realized how mead ferments differently....

I've currently got some cranberry melomel, raspberry melomel, orange and cinnamon melomel, nutmeg metheglin, and plain old mead. All in their second fermentation phase ready to be racked.

A couple weeks ago I bottled up a batch of Braggot, which has turned out quite nice.

Tapped some of the Apple Pie Cyser to take to the Mothers Day celebration at my In Laws...... Everyone agreed that it was really, really good.....;- )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12