Embarrassed Moving bees from a Tanzanian to a Kenyan TBH

The first bees I bought two years ago, I put into a Tanzanian TBH. (bought a nuke) My reasoning at the time was to go ahead and use the frames. One of the colonies died last year, the other has struggled through a lot of adversity to survive, but they did. ( I accidently killed TWO queens in that hive by rolling them against the side of the box with the side of the frame) I have since started using Kenyon TBH's ( much easier to manipulate the bars). I want to move the TTBH to a KTBH. I have built a small 8 bar KTBH to put on top of the bars of the TTBH. I will make the entrance so that the bees have to go through the small hive to get out. I will also put some empty comb from another of my strongest hives up there. Would it be a bad idea to catch the queen and move her up? Or, should I just let them move up on their own. I am putting a divider in the TTBH to make the brood chamber as small as possible.
    I know this is long and rambling, sorry!

Default Re: Moving bees from a Tanzanian to a Kenyan TBH

In order to get the bees to use a box on top, you need good communication between the boxes. You may need to cut some grooves in the top bars if there are no gaps, or move some of your frames (if they are regular hoffman frames) below the box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you Mr. Bush, I was going to put an entrance under the top box, so the bees would have to go up through it to get out to forage. I have had a top entrance on the existing hive. I was going to drill a couple of 7/8th inch holes in a bar to use as an entrance. I have since found quite a few larvae (white) on the bottom board of the hive. I think I will do a shook swarm into the KTBH. I will try to find and capture the queen, then just shake everything into the new hive. Kinda like starting with a package that way? Probably have to feed a while though, I guess.

A package is just a shaken swarm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If I put a queen excluder between the TTBH and the KTBH nuke that would be over it, put the queen up in the top box on some fresh comb, won't the other bees follow her up there? That seems like a more gentle way to move them to a Kenyan TBH. that way I won't lose ant of the brood? Will the mite load stay the same? Isn't that what a shake down does (among other things), is help break the mite cycle?

Went ahead yesterday and shook them into the Kenyan hive. Cought the queen and shook everyone else into the box. Gave them three combs from one of my stronger colonies as a starter (hopefully they will build straight comb from that). They have about eight bars to build on for now. I was surprised at how gentle they were during the whole operation. They seem to be settled in nicely this morning!

>If I put a queen excluder between the TTBH and the KTBH nuke that would be over it, put the queen up in the top box on some fresh comb, won't the other bees follow her up there?

If you put some brood up there, yes. If not, maybe. Either way way they will almost always make a new queen in the part that no longer has one.

>That seems like a more gentle way to move them to a Kenyan TBH. that way I won't lose ant of the brood? Will the mite load stay the same? Isn't that what a shake down does (among other things), is help break the mite cycle?

But you're leaving the queen in, so there is no real break in the brood cycle.