Default sanitizing boxes with bleach

I lost three hives ( mites I think and not enough bees to support the hive) and have frozen all of the frames. I have scraped off the wax and cleaned up the boxes some but before I start all over I want to spray the inside of the boxes with a bleach solution 9:1, and air dry. I did not see anything in the threads as to whether this was good, bad or just a waste of time. Any thoughts to share?

Ma-Honey

Default Re: samitizing boxes with bleach

I don't believe bleach is proven to cure anything that you need to worry about. Dead mites and their virus's are not there. No reason to do this that I k now of

It will kill the spores that are present to some extent in all hives - It may give a little head-start for the bees but I dont know how it would do any harm.

air dry and if you can place them where they can get some sun. The UV help break down a world of bad stuff.
    Old Guy in Alabama

as long as you dont have any known diesases add new bees thay have survived for millions of years doing it there way

You will kill any nosema spores with the spray. You don't need to make it quite that strong to be effective. 20:1 is good. Personally I would also mist the frames.

Default Re: sanitizing boxes with bleach

If you lost the hives to mites you probably won't be accomplishing much by bleaching the boxes. I suppose it won't hurt but I wouldn't do it myself.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"