Default SHB and hive top feeders

I was just getting organized this evening to start knocking together some hive top feeders, now that I've got a design that I like--it minimizes drowning--when I was suddenly struck by a thought. Since this design specifically keeps the bees out of the feeder except thru the screened entrance, does this create a SHB problem, giving them a place to "hide out" as it were from the bees who would normally run them into the oil trap?

I was using the plastic inverted pails, which I don't like because they can leak. I just don't want to be creating a new problem for myself here by trying to fix the old problem!

Any thoughts?

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Default Re: SHB and hive top feeders

Rusty,

Not sure of your feeder design. I build mine from plans I got from FatBeeMan, fully enclosed and yes SHB do occassionaly find their way in. I keep a corragated plastic beetle trap ( aka political sign ) like Don shows in his youtube videos. Works great, no SHB in feeders. If only I could kill them before they get in. Wishfull thinking.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Default Re: SHB and hive top feeders

Yep, those are the plans I am using too. Sounds like I'm gonna have to work on those plastic traps next! Thanks for the heads-up!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)