Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Default Re: vertical vs. horizontal movement

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Not necessary because we are talking about the direction of the nest expansion.
    We are? I thought the thread was about which direction bees prefer to move. Nothing has been said so far that it's only about the "nest". Whatever you mean by nest I'm not sure either.

Anything I've said so far, has been about the colony generally.

The "super" (probably bad analogy), if I understand correctly, is a part of complicated frames re-arrangement to increase the productivity!
    The super, would go on top right? It's vertical.

IE. To increase productivity, they are going vertical. Very amusing.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Found this page which has a montage of Russian beekeeping pics. Also has one on Romanian beekeeping, US beekeeping, and New Zealand beekeeping (by indigenous people)

http://www.thehoneygatherers.com/html/ataglance_6.html
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Found this page which has a montage of Russian beekeeping pics. Also has one on Romanian beekeeping, US beekeeping, and New Zealand beekeeping (by indigenous people)

http://www.thehoneygatherers.com/html/ataglance_6.html
    Amusing pictures. I like Cameroon - looks like extreme business. Also, did you notice in Mexican series - they used 30o tilted bee-logs very similar to Russian, just much smaller - I am wondering what is the connection? It looks like, bees could live in many different shapes, conditions! Amusing creatures! Many thanks for sharing.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Yes I think the Mexicans are using hives like that because they suit the type of bee they are using, a native South American bee.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes I think the Mexicans are using hives like that because they suit the type of bee they are using, a native South American bee.
    and Russian perhaps because they are using russian bees?
    Серёжа, Sergey

Well maybe, although most of the Russian hives in those pics were vertical hives that would have supers added. Even the "long" ones were not very long, not like what an American would typically call long, and they also looked like they may well have supers added if required. However if using strains similar to the "Russian" bees imported to the US, a small hive may work well although I doubt all the bees would be like that.

It is great! Please, let me know if you need some clarification or translation - I would be more than happy to help.
    Yes please, I am still pretty keen to see a translation.