Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Got my package in February 28 2013, check my hive today not good. Please help.

13K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Saltybee 
#1 ·
Hi,

I received my package on Feb 28, all of Feb was fairly sunny and warm (4c at night 10c during the day) I got my package and installed it on 28th, it was bloody pouring rain. It's been pouring ever since! I checked on my hive today and just my luck, half of the bees were dead and the other half were balled trying to keep warm. Temps have been 4c at night and 10c during the day. Is it safe to say I lost these guys :(? Should I order another package for April? I'm really upset to see this happen, spent $200 on the package which was supposed to arrive in March 3rd but came on Feb 28th. Any tips would really help!

Sigh......

#31 ·
Delta Bay your advice so far has been great, yup I got the package from Bob really nice guy. What do you think the odds of survival are for my package? The queen is alive and well, the bees are flying and relieving themselves. Now that they've relieved them selves I think they'll start eating. What would you say the odds of survival are in our current climate? The day today is great and the next two look decent as well.

#36 ·
If they are taking their feed very good, they should do just fine. They should be taking about 1 1/2 to 2 liters per week once they get a little comb built. Seeing that they came as 2 lbs of bees 1 1/2 liters is a reasonable amount but they will need to build comb for some storage area first. Once they have built some comb they will start to take more syrup as of now their bellies are full and will have to process it into wax. The key is that they always have easy access to warm feed and that they are taking it.

Are you sure it was the queen you saw and not a drone? It's unusual that the queen would leave the hive for a fly about.

#33 ·
Have I got this right,
They have enough syrup and sub for 10 days or so.
They are warm, blanket and heater.
They have free access 24/7
the weather looks good for a few days.

You have done well, in fact there is not much more you can do. Now they need warmth, food and peace and quiet to build comb. You might consider a hands off approach until you see pollen coming in, if available in your area. Every time the hive is opened valuable heat is lost and they need high temps to build comb. No comb, no brood and the colony will die.

Keep them fed and warm
Good luck

#34 · (Edited)
Vancity, Stephenbird says it well. You have saved them. Just do not try to push them ahead of the weather, too much help can do that. When the natural stuff starts coming in they will take it from there.

Sprinkle with a little water, just enogh to make it a little crusty it starts them on it and keeps them from carrying it out. Mister works best, sugar water in a mister will keep them calm when working.

#37 ·
Alright guys so far so good. Hive is at a constant temperature of 25c, again we had great weather today and the bees were fly about. I haven't opened the hive so I have no idea if they're taking syrup nor have I checked the pollen patty. But their is 750mL of syrup, so it should last till Friday, and if they're is good weather Friday I'll check on the status of the feeder. That's about it for now, I'll post an update on Friday.

#38 ·
No it wasn't a drone it had a massive red dot marker. I've set the temperature of my heater to 25c, should I increase it to 32c because average hive temp should be 34.5c or should I not? I don't have to open the hive to adjust temp the heating controller is outside the hive.

#39 · (Edited)
When will there be any bloom and natural pollen? Most home made pollen sub works in the short term only. The more complete the sub the longer you should be able to keep them going before bloom.

They generate their own heat. I would not go to 34 as they may then need to cool. You are already giving them summer temps. Brood needs moisture to survive, the more you heat, the dryer the air. Definitely warm enough for comb building already.

Indoor over wintering temp is usually set at 5 for established hives.

You have one hive, I would not try to mess with them too much this first time.

#40 ·
Hi,
I had a same situation. I had a live queen but a cup full of bees left. I started feeding them in to the hive with nectar gold and natural dried cane juice instead of processed sugar. The hive is now doing incredibly. Once they have a good supply of food, they can generate heat and survive. Hope you can save them. Good Luck.

#42 ·
Pussy willow blooms will begin or should've have already begun, next we'll be early cherries (we've got at least 50 trees in the surrounding 500sq meters). Blooms we'll be plentiful in a weeks time (some early tulips have bloomed as well). I guess I won't be adjusting the temperature then.

#43 ·
If you can adjust the temp 15 to 18C is plenty warm enough. The bees will regulate the inner cluster to the temp they want. You should also have a peek every 2 to 3 days on their syrup supply. You don't want them to run out at any time until about dandelion bloom around the first half of April. If the weather allows for steady foraging there should be plenty to gather after that.

#44 ·
Update for today, checked on the syrup and they've taken 500mL and about 200mL is remaining, I'll change it out tomorrow. They haven't eaten the pollen patty much. Also on another note I was roasting some coffee by the hive at 8pm and 20-30 bees came out of the hive, any idea why? other than that I'll be doing a much more thorough inspection on Friday (Sunny day) and I'll report back.

#45 ·
Pretty amazing how cold bees can look so dead and revive with heat.
Hard to do, but the longer you can leave them alone the better. You will only be looking for eggs, and not seeing any until 2 weeks is not a problem, though some queens will lay on the first bits of comb.
The question is when will knowing or not knowing if the queen is laying change your management plan?
If the comb is not straight will you straighten or wait for better weather? Not really a right or wrong answer, just a timing question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.