Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: worst winter ever?

Pretty sure he means scraped clean so all parts fit tight and seal up.

i started keeping bees 30 some years ago, back then almost all of my dead hives were from starvation in the winter and i knew it was my fault, with all of the problems today i cant even tell if its my fault, we rarely ever had to feed, and giving them pollen sub i didnt even know was available, and back then i was young and would pull two deeps of honey per hive, and we rented to orchards (lot of small orchards back then) and still didnt have any problems like we have now.
    this year i had 2 hives that all of the bees were gone, they went into winter good, still honey in the hive, i have never seen this before, its all getting very strange.
    sometimes i dont think it matters how you keep them, just like the farmer who grows his own watermelon he plants double so if the cold kills the first batch hes got another batch ready, and it seems to be the same with bees, go into winter with double what you want to come out with, seems like a waste but it seems to be the way it works

Does "sub feed" mean "pollen substitute"?

Just got my numbers back from the almond pollination. I lost 10% over the winter and the survivors are boomers.

Thumbs Up Re: worst winter ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Euliss View Post
    I lost 10% over the winter and the survivors are boomers.
    Nice to hear that good news Chip, I won't keep you from splitting & shaking.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Nice to hear that good news Chip, I won't keep you from splitting & shaking.
    Thanks Keith. If they keep me busy enough, it MAY keep me out of trouble. At least for a little while!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    does "sub feed" mean "pollen substitute"?
    yes.

I lost better than 50% so far. out of 30-35 hives lost most had stores. survivors appear to have enough to get through the next few weeks but I gave them more to be sure.
    I caught 13 swarms last year & they seemed to be strong & well supplied. Only two made it through the winter. here in NY seemed to be a long winter & not looking like it's gonna be over anytime soon.
    Most of my overwintered nucs in 5 frame equipment seem to be in good shape lost maybe 4 of18

Hope to get a response on a new thead about rebuilding numbers.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Lakebilly, sorry to hear of your loss but it seems to be more of the norm now a days than not.
    I sure hope you have not fallen old & forgetful as many of us beeks have in the past year or so & no longer remember how to keep our bees alive.
    Worse yet I hope you have not fallen into my class of lazy beekeepers that just think my bees should take car of themselves.
    I am thinking of purchasing those advertised t-shirts that read on the front " I Used To Care " & then doing some custom work to them.
    PM me if you are intrested!

soupcan, after everything that has been said over the last few months you still don't get it.
    The old days are gone, diseases and pesticides are here to stay, deal with it and quit whining
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

soupcan,

I take a very serious approach to a very large investment that I made to this venture. I am on this forum to educate myself to that end. I appreciate your note. I would invite anyone to work w/me @ my remodeling bizz, my farm, or my beez (that I work 95% of the time by myself) & then wonder if I ever take the lazy approach. Not reading too much into your note, just saying.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Sorry Ian, did not mean to offend you!
    My point is simple & that is how did this " chemical thing " get to this point???
    All I hear is " no testing required " as to the effects on bees!
    Yet here in the USA it can take 5, 7 & maybe 10 years of testing and proof that a new drug is safe for use on or in humans.
    Animal vet medications can take almost as long.
    Think about this, next time you hear of some one using a fungicide ask them as to what percent of there application was on " control acres "

ha ha ha no offence soupcan, ( I know your tongue is in your cheek )

what are you going to do about this chemical thing ?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

What am I going to do???
    Simple, the co-ops we do business with & the farmers that we have bees on I ask them ( very politely )
    if they use fungicide? And when they answer yes I ask why & as to where the test acres are at to prove that there input $$$$ are a wise investment. Most reply that the ag people recomend it & after a minute or two they all seem to come to the same conclusion that they may be throwing money to the wind.
    That said for the most part almost all of these farmers do infact worry about the bees & don't want to harm them in any way.
    My main concern is what we will have for problems 5 to 10 years down the road from all the junk that we are using to plant a crop today.
    My wife & I grew up in a river valley that has one of the highest rates of cancers in the state.
    My dad passed a number of years ago from a cancer that is so rare it really is only found in Afrcia.
    The questions they asked is if dad served there or was near there in WW-II.
    Ian I not a tree hugger by any means but I am really scared that this chemical deal is already over the top so to speak.
    Most of the beeks on here have done this deal for long enough now to tell when the bees are a hurting & things are just not right in the hive.
    The bees are a hurting and Ian if your not having any problems, man good luck to ya brother as I am afraid your a going to need it in the long run!
    The scramble is on for package bees & queens not to mention singles & nucs.
    And the losses are just not just from bad beekeeping.
    They phone is also a ringing for a small lots of honey, every one seems scared!

soup, you hit a touchy subject. I was watching a documentary and it was claiming insurance companies push neonics etc.. as well and won't insure crops that don't use them. Heck of a system isn't it, forcing farmers to spend money.....

fungicides are here to stay.
    crop protection is big business,
    Last edited by Ian; 03-27-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

USDA admits to exterminating birds,bees and crops

http://fracturedparadigm.com/2013/03...rops-and-bees/
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    fungicides are here to stay.
    crop protection is big business,
    Crop pollination is also big businees. Always keep this in mind.

I'm a new beek here....and read this thread....thanks to all for your input, knowledge, insight, etc. I had a great strong hive going into the winter, but in the last month lost it to ????? No signs of mites, disease, anything, except for the lack of pollen/protein which we seemed to be short of this fall. Folks in my area reported the same thing in regards to huge % of hive losses, and part of our county is big agriculturally speaking. Where I live, though, it was cold, cold, cold for way too long.
    Thanks again to all...

Susan

Finally warmed up enough to check half the hives last week and have 15% loss so far.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast