Exclamation Need advice for 1 year old Beekeeper from San Diego, CA

My hives are booming. The weather seems to have begun to move into Spring, even though rain seems to be on the horizon come next weekend.

When I came about 5-6 feet of one of my hives, a few bees became protective. I was wearing blue and green. They seem to be moving with very quick speed, but they never landed or stung me. Temp is 87 degrees. Should I be concerned that the queen could be Africanized or is this normal action for early Spring?

I am aware that those in my area start early to deal with their hives. Should I be concerned about taking honey from a honey super?

I must swap the deep with the upper deep soon - right? Do you think I should do it asap?

Any advice you can give, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Lori

Default Re: Need advice for 1 year old Beekeeper from San Diego, CA

Mine come up and land on my by the house. Very friendly. Close to the hive, if they are flying past you, they are just busy. If they are crashing into you, you are in the flight path!

If they are buzzing around you, time to watch their behavior. They will be cranky in early spring when there isn't much to bring in, but a good honey flow will fix that. When they head butt you in the face, it's time for a veil if you want to stay around, or time to leave if you don't, they are getting aggressive.

You should reverse boxes before they start swarm preps if you want to avoid swarms, some weeks before your main spring flow starts. Don't know when that is for you, but here it's in the next few weeks, soon as it's consistantly warm.

Peter

My hives in NorCal are indeed cranky now, quite different than their normal gentle behavior. Got my first sting of the year today when I was 10 feet away and one flew directly at me and stung me on the nose without warning - ouch! As psfred says above, I think it's just a seasonal thing that will pass as the flow gets going.

You stated it was only one of your hives that was defensive. Maybe its queenless?

My hives here in Reno are very gentle right now. they are busy on the warm days and actually foraging on something. I now have on hive I just cut out yesterday and the day before. they are of course mad as all get out and I can't go near them. There defense response is well beyond overload. I got a sting on my finger last night just resting my hand on the hive. I am pretty sure they don't like me any more. probably never will for this generation.

I also had to deal with a couple of queenless nucs last summer. and they where both aggressive until they where queen right again.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Do you need to scrape off the wax, if it was frozen?

Had a defensive hive a couple years ago it would send 50 bees out in you're face. Yours might just be having a bad day.
    In San Diago I would think you're a little late reversing boxes, & adding honey supers. We are already doing some of that up here in the SF bay area. Check the hive, if the lower box is empty with no brood in it you can reverse. If there is brood in both boxes you're too late. If you're too late add boxes on top ASAP
    In you're climate you could really benefit from some local advise, Only Florida beekeepers are going to have similar seasons to yours.
    Dan

What KQ6AR said, you need to check on things and make assessments before you do anything. You don't just do something to do it. You jump to a lot of conclusions based on a lot of nothing in my opinion.