Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Unwritten rules for competing against peers

I see a guy lose almost his entire operation due to what I believe poor nutrition. Very hot and dry, and the bees brought in little nectar and no pollen. He lost hundreds of colonies one winter. Now that is a learning experience. It would be easy to blame the producer but producer has little to do with it less the colony crapped out in the first month. It's mostly the beekeeper. They need to pay attention and be prudent in keeping their bees. I guess thats what really divides the beekeepers from those who keep bees.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I see a guy lose almost his entire operation due to what I believe poor nutrition. It's mostly the beekeeper. They need to pay attention and be prudent in keeping their bees. I guess thats what really divides the beekeepers from those who keep bees.
    BMAC, very well said, we call them bee haulers or box haulers. It's a sad seen out here in Cali almost every year, Febuary comes and there is a grave yard of empty boxes from one end of the valley to the other.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    BMAC, very well said, we call them bee haulers or box haulers. It's a sad seen out here in Cali almost every year, Febuary comes and there is a grave yard of empty boxes from one end of the valley to the other.
    Do you have any particular products or methods that the "box haulers" could use to make sure those hives come through almonds strong?

Keith will likely say something about Nutra-Bee, but I'll let him do that. Feeding bees is definitely a key to keeping hives strong especially in a drought year. We have been feeding out local bees for the past 2 years as it has been incredibly cool and wet during spring and our main flow. When summer rolls around the main flow is over and we are in a dearth. The only way to keep bees healthy and populous is to feed, feed and feed syrup and patties. It really is not that hard to see and figure out. The challenging part is to pay those bills. You'll need a good $ if you want to provide good bees.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Do you have any particular products or methods to make sure those hives come through almonds strong?
    MBeck, JM petty much nailed it, I talk to a guy named Dave M from your state of FL today and we both agreed that if you don't feedem heavy in the fall your asking for your luck to run out. I have never lost more than 5-7% over winter for the last 20 years, MBeck there got to be reason for that. Also good old fashion beekeeping applies as well, good queens, good combs, good TIMING with mites & feed.
    Good luck to all.... But really luck has nothing to do with it.

I'm still learning but a very high percentage of beekeeping seems to be nutrition and mite control. If I figure that out I feel like I have a good shot at success.

There is a Dave M guy south of here that I saw down here putting hives in pepper....cheap feed!
    Must be a different guy I think he's from New England or maybe California.

If I figure that out I feel like I have a good shot at success.
    MBeck, with your outlook on things, me thinks you will do just fine an bee successful.

There is a Dave M guy south of here that I saw down here putting hives in pepper....cheap feed!
    Must be a different guy I think he's from New England or maybe California.
    W/ all the hives he runs he's everywhere. If you are refering to the person I think you may be refering to.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Sounds to me like, with mite treatments a beekeeper has to realize the impact on a queen and be proactive in replacing her after so many treatments. When I look at my situation, I don't feel nutrition was the issue. What I noticed were queens failing about the same time, the constants seem to be mating conditions and mite treatments

What did you treat with Ron?

Its my understanding Formic is very hard on queens as is Oxlic.

from a different thread he treated with MAQS one pad, once in Oct, once in Jan(temp 70 degrees). every time I decide I'm going to try MAQS someone I know has a problem with them. I'm guessing that the hives must have had brood in S.C. in Jan but if the MAQS took out the queens, there were no droans around for them?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    from a different thread he treated with MAQS one pad, once in Oct, once in Jan(temp 70 degrees). every time I decide I'm going to try MAQS someone I know has a problem with them. I'm guessing that the hives must have had brood in S.C. in Jan but if the MAQS took out the queens, there were no droans around for them?
    That's the part that is a mystery to me, I did see drone brood in mid-Jan when I treated. I also did not see signs that they tried to raise a new queen

What is the source for your concern with OA on Queen Bees? I am interested in any information you have on this.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    That's the part that is a mystery to me, I did see drone brood in mid-Jan when I treated. I also did not see signs that they tried to raise a new queen
    I see from NOD site the suggest 2 treatments. I wonder if 2 treatments was too much for the queens. Didn't someone here or on another site say count for 40 percent loss of queens while using Formic acid?

Maybe a second treatment should be done with softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    What is the source for your concern with OA on Queen Bees? I am interested in any information you have on this.
    It my understanding OA causes damage to internal organs of bees. No a big deal for a worker that only lives a few weeks, larger deal for the queen. However possible big deal if treated more than once. Randy Oliver has a great article on mite control.

I see from NOD site the suggest 2 treatments. I wonder if 2 treatments was too much for the queens. Didn't someone here or on another site say count for 40 percent loss of queens while using Formic acid?

Maybe a second treatment should be done with softer.
    This is the second year I've been using the MQS and never noticed any queen issues the first year, that's what I liked about it.

It my understanding OA causes damage to internal organs of bees. No a big deal for a worker that only lives a few weeks, larger deal for the queen.
    I believe that is for drench, not vapor.

isn't vaporizing equally hard on beekeeper?

Easiest treatment I've used. Don't wear a mask and do a yard at a time. Can do about 20 hives in 1/2 hour with no lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    MBeck, with your outlook on things, me thinks you will do just fine an bee successful.
    Thanks time will tell!

Mark,
    Same guy, I'm only guessing he brings his hive here to build up for Brazilian Pepper...no idea but he was here during that flow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast