Thread: Reversing

Default Reversing

In which month do I reverse my hives?
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

Default Re: Reversing

Hi Boone, I don't know for your area but something that I learned that worked for me last year was look at the forecast and make sure that there isn't a large temperature change about to occur because it will take a few days for the bees to adjust to things being re arranged. For me I would wait till I see like a month of foraging temperatures to make any drastic changes like reversing. I also like the idea of having a slatted rack or a shallow of combs or something at the bottom so if the temperature gets cold again unexpectedly there is a buffer at the bottom between the entrance and the new brood that will get lowered from the reverse. When it warms up for certain I can take that shallow away. I base keeping that buffer of combs at the bottom on an observation I see when it is cold. The bees get in the center and move up so I figure they like a buffer at the bottom and around the sides. I also don't reverse them if the brood is running between two boxes because I read not to split apart the brood chamber. I'm fairly new at this but I definitely wait to reverse till things have become stable with temperature. It depends on the season. Here in PA it is still cold and I am not messing with them much till I see a nice warm several weeks in the forecast like April I'm guessing. I look forward to other responses on your post. VW

Teepee JPG.jpg

Default Re: Reversing

I watched a webinar by Mike Palmer on Managing for honey production. and it seems he said around dandelion bloom.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown