Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Why is it that a common fly can live through winter but a Hive cant ???

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
So that is my thinking now ..... Why is it that Many many many insects can live through winter and survive the elements but yet a strong hive can fail....
and i know people are thinking MItes and other issues but really why dont they flies have mites ??
i think the answer lies in researching other insects and see if there is something they do or have (nutrition and etc) that the bees are not getting

im not saying this is the cure but rather food for thought

#3 ·
First of all the majority of insects going into the winter do not survive. Most insects in the northern hemisphere produce an antifreeze substance that prevents the frozen body cells from rupturing. This allows them to winter in a frozen state of suspended animation. As you know bees do not go into a suspended animation and must eat to maintain the temperature of the cluster. Excluding mites and disease, one of the main causes of colony death is food isolation. If it is too cold for them to move, they will starve within 1/2 an inch of abundat food.
Dave

#6 ·
Certainly MOST of the flies die off every winter. As far as how they survive, anytime I've torn off a roof in the winter there were thousands of them hiding under the shingles. I'm sure they also bury themselves in leave etc. to try to stay somewhere they won't freeze solid. Only one fly that does survive will quickly become thousands...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.