Default Why is it that a common fly can live through winter but a Hive cant ???

So that is my thinking now ..... Why is it that Many many many insects can live through winter and survive the elements but yet a strong hive can fail....
    and i know people are thinking MItes and other issues but really why dont they flies have mites ??
    i think the answer lies in researching other insects and see if there is something they do or have (nutrition and etc) that the bees are not getting

im not saying this is the cure but rather food for thought
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

Default Re: Why is it that a common fly can live through winter but a Hive cant ???

Flies eat poop, always plenty of it around, and it starts out warm, hard to find pollen and nectar when its winter out WVMJ
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking

Default Re: Why is it that a common fly can live through winter but a Hive cant ???

First of all the majority of insects going into the winter do not survive. Most insects in the northern hemisphere produce an antifreeze substance that prevents the frozen body cells from rupturing. This allows them to winter in a frozen state of suspended animation. As you know bees do not go into a suspended animation and must eat to maintain the temperature of the cluster. Excluding mites and disease, one of the main causes of colony death is food isolation. If it is too cold for them to move, they will starve within 1/2 an inch of abundat food.
    Dave

Some insects are freeze tolerant and can be frozen and thawed. Honey bees use a different strategy to overwinter, thermoregulation of the cluster.

Mortality over the winter is high for many insects. But if many of an insect species go into the winter, plenty will survive.

Certainly MOST of the flies die off every winter. As far as how they survive, anytime I've torn off a roof in the winter there were thousands of them hiding under the shingles. I'm sure they also bury themselves in leave etc. to try to stay somewhere they won't freeze solid. Only one fly that does survive will quickly become thousands...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF