Default When do beekeepers place a pollen patty on a hive?

Last week (2/26), the temp was 60 & I found a couple hives that I thought felt a little light. So I placed a 1lb pollen patty on them. When do you place pollen patties on your hives & where do you live?

In KY, the honey flow can begin in early April....

- Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Default Re: When do beekeepers place a pollen patty on a hive?

Middle tn - jan 15 - but hard candy, not patties. Hive beetles like patties too much.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I don't have beetles but I put patties on my bees today and It will be a month before much is blooming.

My experience, in my climate is that it very seldom works out well for me to encourage the bees to raise brood before it's really time to do so. I prefer to keep them in synch with their environment and their climate. I never use patties, and I only use dry pollen (not substitute) on occasions where there is a pollen dearth in the fall and I want to ensure young bees for winter. My usual indicator is the behavior of the bees. If they are gathering my chicken feed or saw dust or coffee grounds, I think they probably need to be fed some pollen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF