Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: This picture makes me sick

Beekeepers;
    Remember when you work the hives on that nice warm sunny day in the almonds you are also disrupting the bees from working the blooms and decreasing the growers crop.
    Just the other side of the coin
    Dan

I agree . Thats why I limit it to just observing flight, changing feeders, and spot checking a few, just for that reason.All of the really disruptive management takes place right before and right after bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    Beekeepers;
    Remember when you work the hives on that nice warm sunny day in the almonds you are also disrupting the bees from working the blooms and decreasing the growers crop.
    Just the other side of the coin
    Ok, If working them during bloom messes them up would you be willing to take at the video listed below and then tell me from the way the bees are foraging the almonds if you think these bees are messed up or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwJCaXStXI
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 03-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.

The likelihood is that there are not enough bees to go around, as the almond guys were screaming for beekeepers, and heavy losses were widely reported. I'd bet he didn't get any bees is spraying bee attractant in hopes of drawing off bees from neighboring orchards or other native pollinators. Blue Diamond recommends communicating with your beekeeper regarding spraying times on their website, and recommends avoiding spraying altogether when bees are present is possible.

That said, if it is pesticide he's spraying, the photo frightens me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123