Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: This picture makes me sick

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Of course, if you spray enough water on bees they will die, but does mean water is toxic in your definition?
    Water is toxic to both bees and humans.100% of people, or bees,who drink water die.

Keith "Hey Jimmy, this pic was taken last week."

Last week? Either those are some very scraggly almond trees in the background or you have been holding the 10 framer's back (at the holding yard) with all the other 8 and 9 frame dinks once again.

What a shame. I heard form someone who says they got 120 for their dinks. Those look good enough to have placed a nice down payment on another bus or two.

Phil, I filmed that last week, I'm sure the trees are going by now, this thread promted me to post this on you-tube. I've had enough of the whinning.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Jim,
    Yes i wonder to how much thought goes into that and if there are some possible simple changes that could go along way for both the bees and the almonds.

From a CA stand point sure almonds are good for the bees to build. but if those same bees were somewhere like say, south of arkansas and north of mexico i think they would be much better off. or maybe just south of canada where the dandelions grow

Yea and OLD timers need to know that times change. 30 years ago it was still a bee paradise.

This is long term

Kieth you only posted that video to look cool and wow that was cool

Well Jim, Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean THEY really aren't out to get you! Lol

The first time I saw my hives douched with fungicide I asked an old keeper about it. He said its good for the boxes -keeps fungus from growing on them . Guess he was right. No fungus on MY boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    Kieth you only posted that video to look cool and wow that was cool
    Benstung, I posted that so to paint the other side of the story, it's not all doom & gloom in the almonds. I also feel you were taking a cheap shot at the growers, the growers btw are paying alot of money for pollination, do you really think they are spraying just to be spraying after paying so much for the bees?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Hey Jimmy, this pic was taken last week, would you have benstung send that spray rig over here these things are getting out of hand. Heck that CCD is out of control again.
    http://youtu.be/PYbLbhZXizY
    Nice!
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

i know its not all bad.

and as for how much they pay for the bees, 150 is not enough for me i am greedy, i want more.
    every third bite is worth it

Well we all want more money Ben. But the worst i ever see is a few hundred dead bees in front of the hives, likely from additives to the fungicide(direct knockdown). We see issues later on , but its hard to say if its from chemicals or varroa/viruses/drought.

Regards, Barry

Love the comments from the growers. I've known a lot of farmers in my life (and a lot of computer scientists) and they are not stupid. I don't think he is out there killing the bees he just paid big bucks for. He is probably using the best science he can find to find the optimal balance between healthy trees and healthy bees because he has a large, long term investment. What he needs always is better science to do this. What he doesn't need is chicken little in the laboratory. Big eco has its own credibility problems; they make big bucks in donations, the more alarm, the more donations, so in a way they are in the business of selling alarm. They said the feral hives were gone, not true, they said the polar bears are in trouble, not true, they said the climate system acts with positive feedback amplifying co2 forcing, not true. We are nowhere near a point where armies of people with little brushes do the pollinating.

BTW why can't growers lock the bees in for a day when they spray. Is that against their contract.

Thumbs Up Re: This picture makes me sick

The fact is we live in a world with agriculture surrounding us. Farmers and growers of all kinds produce the food we eat. I live across the road from a pecan orchard covering 1500 acres with irrigated pecan trees. I did not see any bee losses in the six hives in my yard last summer and the hives are strong this Spring. The orchard manager and I have a good relationship and he is responsible in the timing and manner of his spray applications. There is middle ground on these issues.
    Last edited by Lburou; 03-02-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: wordsmithing
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

[QUOTE=BTW why can't growers lock the bees in for a day when they spray. Is that against their contract.[/QUOTE]
    We have quite a few hives out there. We are nearly 2,000 miles away, the folks that handle them place 10's of thousands. They are scattered in small bunches throughout the orchards. Bees fly several miles......... Getting the picture?
    Last edited by jim lyon; 03-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.

I see. So if it costs $500 to send employees out one night to lock them in and another night to unlock, that tells me that the grower thinks the spraying will do less than $500 damage to his pollination effort.

There are somewhere around a million and a half hives in almonds, as we speak. Thousands of different farms…each on its own spraying schedule. $500? I’m thinkin’ that you may have missed the magnitude of this endeavor.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Of course I wasn't thinking $500 would shut all the hives in almond country! I was giving a hypothetical example of the grower running some random orchard. Actually, I think you knew that. The point is that its all a cost benefit tradeoff, which the watermelons running big eco never seem to get.

>>There is middle ground on these issues.

Im glad to hear from the whole spectrum on these issues. Id say a lot of us sit on the middle ground.

Our cropping program requires a fungicide field spray during the crop bloom, as most fungicides are used. Im talking tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars of crop protection. Completely measurable . Fungicides are not used without reason,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Surfactant is what people are thinking of adding to sprays to help them 'stick' and 'spread' better. Typically it's a detergent to help break surface tension which is why it has toxicity to insects. Nice vid Keith.

yes, the surfactant is added to each of our tank loads
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Hey Jimmy, this pic was taken last week, would you have benstung send that spray rig over here these things are getting out of hand. Heck that CCD is out of control again.
    http://youtu.be/PYbLbhZXizY

Looks like you shook some out or split,Keith.......that burnt up smoker looks like mine.....what you average for shaken bees?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast