Hybrid View

Default This picture makes me sick

we wonder why our bees are unhealthy
    http://www.bluediamond.com/applicati...uth2LRG258.jpg

lots of open bloom and blue skys

even if it was early morning when this picture was taken the bees will still get a good dose of fungicide which i am sure they could do without.

Default Re: This picture makes me sick

I was told Paramount does not spray fungicide while the bees are there anymore. can anyone confirm?

What about the guy spraying the stuff, imagine breathing that fog all day long. John

Well just because you see a sprayer going through the orchard doesnt mean it makes anybody sick! Even organic growers own a spray rig and apply organic chemicals to their trees. This year a lot of growers will not need to spray fungicides during bloom since we have had such a dry Jan and Feb. I for example plan on doing a spray at the end of the bloom that is only nutrients.

There are many growers who do not apply any fungicides or insecticides during bloom!

Please also remember that most bees come out of almonds very strong and need to be split afterwards - so be careful with statements like : Quote : "we wonder why our bees are unhealthy"

hey ralf get serious.

I highly doubt the largest almond grower in the state isnt going to protect their crop!

I don't know if it were my bees I don't want them exposed to any chemicals even if they are presumably bee safe .
    /Day and night with all your might /

Do we know what is being sprayed?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

[QUOTE=BTW why can't growers lock the bees in for a day when they spray. Is that against their contract.[/QUOTE]
    We have quite a few hives out there. We are nearly 2,000 miles away, the folks that handle them place 10's of thousands. They are scattered in small bunches throughout the orchards. Bees fly several miles......... Getting the picture?
    Last edited by jim lyon; 03-02-2013 at 01:05 PM.

I see. So if it costs $500 to send employees out one night to lock them in and another night to unlock, that tells me that the grower thinks the spraying will do less than $500 damage to his pollination effort.

There are somewhere around a million and a half hives in almonds, as we speak. Thousands of different farms…each on its own spraying schedule. $500? I’m thinkin’ that you may have missed the magnitude of this endeavor.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Of course I wasn't thinking $500 would shut all the hives in almond country! I was giving a hypothetical example of the grower running some random orchard. Actually, I think you knew that. The point is that its all a cost benefit tradeoff, which the watermelons running big eco never seem to get.

>>There is middle ground on these issues.

Im glad to hear from the whole spectrum on these issues. Id say a lot of us sit on the middle ground.

Our cropping program requires a fungicide field spray during the crop bloom, as most fungicides are used. Im talking tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars of crop protection. Completely measurable . Fungicides are not used without reason,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com