Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My First Spring, Too! Orienting flights or swarm?

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  FlowerPlanter 
#1 ·
Bee Insect Apiary Beehive Honeybee
My one colony is making it through the winter. Today, in Olympia, Washington it hit an infernal 56 degrees. The bees were out in force for the first time and, since this is MY first winter and spring, I was wondering if the frenetic activity was a normal cleansing/orienting flight or preparation for a swarm.

See less See more
#7 ·
there is always something in bloom ! its wether or not they can get at it do to the cold. in early feb we had 2 days of 60+ weather and both my colonies looked like they were returning from a picnic and they rolled around in the mustard hahaha. it looked like everything was frozen in the area.

#6 ·
Swarming on the first of March in Washington state? I would have guessed that your swarm period is closer to May/June. Say, what is the blue tape on the hive? From painting work? Or artificial propolising?

-K

#8 ·
View attachment 4512 My one colony is making it through the winter. Today, in Olympia, Washington it hit an infernal 56 degrees. The bees were out in force for the first time and, since this is MY first winter and spring, I was wondering if the frenetic activity was a normal cleansing/orienting flight or preparation for a swarm.
yeah no swarming yet. watch for the bearding on the hivebody and listen for that distinct bzzzzzzzzzz around the hive. when youhear it youll know. it resembles the sound if you remove a frame with the queen on it and walk away hahahaha. """"WHERE IS SHE....NOOOOOO....OMG.....THE QUEEEEEEEN""

#9 ·
I would bet orientation. We're having a warm spell here, too, and my hive is doing the same thing at this very moment. There are so many bees out they're making a racket, and you can't get near the hive. They did this once before a week or so ago (after 2 months cooped up), and I was a little concerned they were swarming. After a moment of study I noticed that a lot of the bees were coming out and sunning themselves, and I could clearly see the pattern of the orientation flights. That evening they were all back in the hive, buzzing contentedly.

#11 ·
@ KMP - The tape is artificial propolis. I had to do some manipulations last fall and didn't think the bees would be able to get any propolizing done themselves in preparation for winter. I didn't want any unnecessary drafts.

#13 ·
Pollen is probably from trees.

When robbing is occurring, there is usually fighting in the front. I still have trouble figuring this out though, this my 4th spring. Oy. That orienting is a sight to behold, isn't it?

#15 ·
well since they were cooped up all winter they first take turns getting out to do "cleansing flights" bathroom lol then after that they'll start cleaning out the hive of dead bees and chewed cappings also start collecting water for crystallized honey and of course drinking.most of the fall bees wintered over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.