Default Feeder Recommendations

I am tired of daily feedings and would like a solution that would allow me to feed about twice per week. I am looking at www.motherlodeproducts.com feeders. I would welcome reviews on this equipment or suggestions from experienced keepers that have solutions that work.

I am open to in-hive solutions or top feeders. I am not sure I would use the "area" feeders for the whole apiary from one location - unless someone has some great evidence to support effectivness.

Thanks!

Wendell
    8-Frame Equipment
    Last edited by Wendellww; 12-02-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Default Re: Feeder Recommendations

I presume that the page that you intended to link is this one: http://www.motherlodeproducts.com/ap...rch--pricemax=
    (be careful adding punctuation to links - it tends to make them fail to work)

The feeders that I use are top feeders that I built from Beesource plans for Miller style feeders. Those plans are for 10 frame equipment, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to modify them to 8 frame. A 2 gallon frame feeder as MotherLode offers certainly seems to hold an amount similar to a top feeder, and the price seems hard to beat. It does appear that they have an open top, so bees drowning might be a concern, but I do not have experience with the MotherLode feeder. The Beesource Miller top feeders have no 'floats' and the syrup tanks are screened to keep out bees.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Rader,

Thanks for the info. I repaired the link (text typed automatically made it a link). They also have a cap & bee ladder available to help with the bee drowning.

I like the feeder plans on Bee Source from the link you provided. I would like to avoid plastic as much as possible.

Wendell
    Last edited by Wendellww; 12-02-2014 at 05:00 AM.

If you are currently using quart jars for feeding, another option for more capacity is to use a larger bucket or pail upside-down on top of the hive. The bucket would go over an inner cover with a hole, and the pail lid has small holes to allow the bees to suck out the syrup. A recent thread touches on this:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...et#post1188128

Some beeks will shield the pail from the sun/wind by adding an empty box around the pail with a lid on top.

-------

Posting links is best done by pasting them, rather than by retyping them. The easiest way to do that is double-click the page address (URL) to highlight the URL, then copy the URL with a right-click option. Then move to your Beesource message, click where you want the URL to appear, then choose "Paste" from the right-click menu.

If you want to substitute alternate text displayed for the link (similar to what I did for the "plans" link in post #2, (or to add punctuation) here is the easiest way:

- copy the URL from its source page per above
    - in your Beesource message, type the word/phrase that you want to see active
    - highlight that phrase
    - click on the "Link" icon in the message toolbar (looks like a globe and is to the left of the "envelope")
    - right-click in the displayed box in the "Link" window and choose paste. Note that the "http://" preloaded in that box will get replaced with the link that you paste and that is fine.
    - click OK to finalize the link

One way to verify that all is OK before posting is to then choose the "Go Advanced" button towards the bottom, then "Preview Post". You will see what your message will look like to others, and can verify that your link works before posting if you want to.

It may seem complicated to read the above, but it is an easy process once you have done it a few times.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I do as Rader suggested. I use gallon paint cans with holes drilled in the lids. I put them upside down on sticks laying on top of an inner cover, usually directly over the hole in the middle. The bees suck the syrup out and when it comes time to replace the can, I just swap out a full one in a few seconds. I can put two cans on top of the cover if I like. I surround the feeder with an old deep and put the outer cover over the hive. It's worked well for me over the years. My deeps that i use to surround the feeding cans are a different color than my white hives so I can look across the yard and instantly tell which hives I'm feeding and how many cans I'll need to refill.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I prefer having a single end screened in.

The 5-frame feeder below also has an "experimental" smaller access area.

BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Plastic gallon paint cans work well and do not rust. I see you are 8 frame, if all medium, understand a gallon jug will need two medium boxes or on deep box to cover it. But $4 for new empty can is cheap if you have extra boxes around already.
    Regards,
    KGB-8FmedTF

If you are using qt jars and getting tired of filling them so often you can switch to the 5lb honey jars witch will give you almost double the amount of food over the qt jars. It would be a quick easy way to get a bigger container without having to spend much money or buy any extra equipment. The 5lb jars have the same lid as the qts. so they are interchangeable.

gallon zip locks last about four days in a populous hive and I put three quarts in them. The bees can take the syrup in weather too cold for most syrup intake because the cluster warms the baggie laying on the top bars. Best of all are miller feeders which are fairly easy to make if you start with 4" slices of a deep box. Go to dave cushmans site for plans for this feeder and every other beekeeping gadget imaginable.

Thanks for all the input. My hives are 8-frame all medium.

I did NOT plan to put a link in my text. I typed a website and this thing made it a link ... Was not my intention.

I am currently using half gallon Canadian style feeders. At one point this year, one hive was emptying it's feeder every 6 hours .... completly empty (dang - that was 4 times per day and 2 gallons total). I generally only fed it three times - hive was not at my house. Hoping to only feed minimally this year and produce honey with the 8-frame hives. I have lots of comb produced and pseudo honey to feed and use with splits.

I like the look of the Miller feeders. I am building 5-frame NUCs for next year and the Miller feeders may be the feeding solution. I see polyurethane was recommended for sealing the wood inside - any other ideas for sealing?

Wendell

I like the miller feeders because i can feed two five frame nucs in divideddouble by putting a queen excluder on. Thebees share the feeder with no problem. I have been sealing mine with siliconebut that is pricey. Just do it good when building them as leaks are hard to repair.

All of my feeders were built with Titebond III and soaked / coated with paraffin

I had found a paraffin at a decent price on eBay.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...