Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who makes the best vented bee jacket

I was checking my 9 hives, as I opened a couple of them I could smell there danger pheromone. I learned to recognize the smell after a few cut outs this summer. Reminds me of a smell kinda like garlic. The bees blew outta the hive and went to work on me. After 6-10 stings through my hat built into my veil and 7 stings on my right forearm 3 stings to my left elbow and 2 or 3 elsewhere. I have realized my current jacket and veil are garbage that I wasted $100 on. So who could tell me of some good quality protective equipment and I understand prolly still going to get stung, but I wore Levi's and just got hit once in legs
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

Default Re: Who makes the best vented bee jacket

I would get an Ultra Breeze. I have a jacket and use it when they are grumpy. Otherwise just a vail.

http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 11-28-2014 at 06:05 PM.

I like my ultra breeze suites
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I to have a ultra breeze. Have had it for four year or so. Two burn holes in and have replaced the screen on the vail with wire screen. Is it the best I can't say their are a few things I would change. The biggest one is the pockets need a flap to hold things in. I amight that I am hard on it. I do a few cut outs. And so on. I have seen the imports and look but know nothing about them.

I love my Ultra Breezes. The girls never get me through the jacket or full suit. If I take one it's through the gloves. or some area I failed to protect. No fault of the Ultra Breeze.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

I don't know if it's the "best," but this one is reasonable and serves me well.............I've never been stung thru it....

http://www.pestmall.com/eco-keeper-v...ded-jacket.htm
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I don't know if it's the "best," but this one is reasonable and serves me well.............I've never been stung thru it....http://www.pestmall.com/eco-keeper-v...ded-jacket.htm
    Try this link for those interested in seeing what snl was suggesting http://www.pestmall.com/search.php?k...jacket&x=0&y=0

But, again I will say ultra breeze. You did not mention that price was an issue. You asked what was the best vented jacket. By far ultrabreeze is the BEST vented jacket. It is not the cheapest it is basically several layers of mesh so bee's cant sting through it and air gets through like you are not wearing one.
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 11-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.

That is not a good link. Pest mall has a ventilated jacket similar to the ultra breeze.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

also sounds like your suit may be too small. Make sure the suit you git fits you so it is baggy.

One of my favorite beekeeping quotes comes from Allen Dick's wife, and is regarding the fit of the bee suit. "You want it loose enough that there is room for the bees to fly around inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    also sounds like your suit may be too small. Make sure the suit you git fits you so it is baggy.
    "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them."Neil Tyson

I bought a ventilated jacket from Rossman Apiaries. I got one size larger than I normally wear and it fits about right. The only drawback to that jacket is that the veil tilts back and comes in contact with my face at times. It cost me one sting right on the chin.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I bought a Betterbee Ventilated Jacket and like it a lot. You can also get different veils to use with it.

I bought a vented jacket from Golden Bee Products, and really like it. American made, heavy brass zippers.

http://www.goldenbeeproducts.com

They custom make their jackets to your measurements.
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

thumbs up for the bee kool suit from blue sky bee supply. its been great for the year i have been using it,

Here's a link for the vented jacket from PestMall $99. http://www.pestmall.com/eco-keeper-v...ed-jacket.html
    I've got one, like it a lot and have never been stung while wearing it if I keep my chin and nose away from the hood screen.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

I bought my jacket plenty big I think. Just bees sting through the suit. Everytime I have done a cutout and on my hot hives. But this time I got stung over 30 times on forearms and elbows. My partner has the vented suit and it seems like it has more depth where the stinger is not long enough to get to him.
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

I also use the ultra breeze, heavy duty, american made.
    My bees aren't as defensive as the ones you have.
    Dan

My Better bee jacket/veil combo has been good for me for 8 seasons. I have never been stung thru it ,generous sizing also . I would buy another

I have several golden bee products and ultra breeze suits and jackets. Both are well made. The Ultra breeze used to be the only one I could get in a jacket. The ultra breeze has a bit more ventilation while the golden bee products suit has a bit more canvas reinforcement on the front of the legs. Both have their advantages.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The only thing I don't like about my ultra bee is that there is no flap over the pocket and I lose things out of them.