Default Bee Suit recommendation

Which bee suite would you recommend. I know many beekeepers only use a hat and face screen and maybe some latex gloves. I've worked with a borrowed round helmet, face net, jacket and latex gloves. I am looking to purchase a:

" Mann Lake's comfortable lightweight Deluxe Bee Suit is available in a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend or in rip stop nylon for extra strength and durability. Available with or without an attached zipper square folding veil. Helmet not included."

I live in east Texas so it gets very hot in the summer. I like the helmet hats which keep the face netting away from your face.

Please give this beginner your opinions.

Default Re: Bee Suite recommendation

I don't have any suggestions but as I am shopping for a suit I am paying attention to your thread. Right now I have a veil and gloves and my "suit up" would be jeans and putting on a long sleeve shirt over whatever I am wearing. I learned this fall that when the bees get a bit angry this set up is not enough.

I love my Ultra Breeze jackets and suits. If I had to choose, I'd buy the jacket... it's much handier than the suit.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Exactly as Michael Bush said, BeeKool. Blue Sky bees has them at a good price with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by gezellig View Post
    Exactly as Michael Bush said, BeeKool. Blue Sky bees has them at a good price with free shipping.
    The one I listed at Mann
    Lake sounds good but I hate buying something sight unseen. Thanks for your suggestion. I was hoping someone had already visited retailers and seen different brands. I haven't looked much on YouTube for reviews. I find d that is a great way to not reinvent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by texorgano View Post
    I know many beekeepers only use a hat and face screen and maybe some latex gloves..
    this is how i operate most of the year. However for the times they are a little fussy a jacket is nice. If you plan on wearing it often go with a ultrabreeze style, if you plan to wear seldom grab a cheapie. This style below from kelleys is a decent starter, with a ventilated hat or helmet its not that hot. I try to stay out of the hives anyways when its hot.

25PCA.jpg

Ultrabreeze. I have the jacket, which I wear with jeans. I got it during the summer (July I think). I have 5 hives of Italians, and have not been stung since I started using it.

Phil

This is my first year and I followed the recommendations of local beeks, I got a jacket with the hat/veil and wear gloves and jeans. Works great so far.
    Genetic Hackle Feathers http://www.ihgf.org/cf/

I'm happy with my vented jacket with veil from Mann Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by mc1960 View Post
    I'm happy with my vented jacket with veil from Mann Lake.
    I attended the East Texas Beekeepers Asso. meeting last evening 12/4/14 and asked for a discussion on bee suits. ETBA is a very large Asso. with many long time 50 + yr beeks. One beekeeper has purchased a military flight suite (gray) for $17.00 dollars from an Army/Navy store and said it was light enough to be cool in our hot Texas climate but tough enough to stop bee stings. Make sure to get one with velcro around the neck. One of the repeated comments from experienced beeks was to handle your bees gently and they won't try to sting.

Quote Originally Posted by texorgano View Post
    I attended the East Texas Beekeepers Asso. meeting last evening 12/4/14 and asked for a discussion on bee suits. ETBA is a very large Asso. with many long time 50 + yr beeks. One beekeeper has purchased a military flight suite (gray) for $17.00 dollars from an Army/Navy store and said it was light enough to be cool in our hot Texas climate but tough enough to stop bee stings. Make sure to get one with velcro around the neck. One of the repeated comments from experienced beeks was to handle your bees gently and they won't try to sting.
    The problem with that logic is the bees sometimes forget to not sting, and its usually right about the time you are all the way into the hive, or helping someone else with their hives. Material that doesn't physically prevent a sting, by either stopping a stinger like leather, or providing a distance like the mesh setup in the ventilated suits, is only good until they want to sting. Once you get a hive that is fully invested in stinging you, you either have to have a real preventive suit and thick gloves, or you have to walk away from an open hive, or you have to get some protective gear and finish. Just because you've never been stung through something, doesn't mean they can't!
    I had a pair of nomex flight gloves that I used and swore by. Never got stung while working in my hives, nice tactile feedback, no sticky propolis on my fingers. I went to help a friend with his hives, and within 5 minutes of opening the hives, his bees had stung my hands at least 15 times, to the point that I had to retreat and remove the gloves because they were covered with bees. No clue what set them off, but once the stinging starts, it kinda feeds itself.
    I wear my bee kool jacket most every time. Bare hands, but the gloves are in my back pocket just in case.

Throughout my first year I've worn a veil and leather beekeeping gloves. I wear pants whenever I go out to the hive and I keep a long sleeve white shirt with the veil, to change into or put over my t-shirt. I've been stung a few times through the shirt(s) and once through the leather gloves but the stings don't bother me much. I've only once been stung twice in one session & never more than twice.

I feel like I need the negative feedback of a sting when I'm upsetting the hive enough that they come at me through the shirt, so I like the veil and gloves only. Enough to make me comfortable, but not to let me get careless.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzleblast View Post
    and within 5 minutes of opening the hives, his bees had stung my hands at least 15 times, to the point that I had to retreat and remove the gloves because they were covered with bees. No clue what set them off, but once the stinging starts, it kinda feeds itself.
    Yes it is the same with me. I read that this is because the bees release an alarm pheromone when they sting, and this causes a chain reaction in other bees .
    What I usually do to end this situation is throwing a lot of smoke upon my gloves for the bees no longer feel the pheromone. Usually results.

What I try to do whenever possible is to make the management in hours with some heat (above 18C) so that the hive has less adult bees, the more defensive bees. The calm management, resolute and as much as possible we must to do everything at once, not opening the hive again, helps me prevent stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt F View Post
    Throughout my first year I've worn a veil and leather beekeeping gloves. I wear pants whenever I go out to the hive and I keep a long sleeve white shirt with the veil, to change into or put over my t-shirt. I've been stung a few times through the shirt(s) and once through the leather gloves but the stings don't bother me much. I've only once been stung twice in one session & never more than twice.

I feel like I need the negative feedback of a sting when I'm upsetting the hive enough that they come at me through the shirt, so I like the veil and gloves only. Enough to make me comfortable, but not to let me get careless.
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I agree with the comments about the flight suite but if you are on a tight budget; something is better than nothing. I've heard of different quality of bee suits such as some with inferior zippers. What brand/manufacturer would be a good quality suite? For example Mann Lake has economity, cotton & nylon. Which to choose?