Default are they brooding in CT ?

This will bee my first/second season with my 3 hives. So far, all are alive and well. They appear to have stores in the top box; all hives are 2 deeps and 1 medium. I checked the "panel" covering my 2 screened bottom boards and each had less than 25 mites. My other hive is a swarm I caught last July. They have consistently clustered under the inner cover and there are thousands of them. our temps have been 40's / 20's. What should I be watching for or doing for them? It is still a trudge in the snow and I cannot drive anywhere near them.

Default Re: are they brooding in CT ?

Yes, they're brooding. That means they're gobbling down stores. For me, that means watching the weather and the environment. I'd prefer a spring that's not early and that allows buds to develop without a freeze. An early spring with a hard freeze means a bee kill. Keep an eye on them since in my experience it's easier to lose bees in March than it is in the dead of winter. Give syrup if you can and when you can and watch them fly. You won't regret watching them!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

They are brooding. I dont remove frames in the middle of winter but I think that they start a small patch of brood some time in mid January. With time they increase that patch. One week ago I had to help a overwintering nuc. I did remove the side empty frame and replaced it with a frame of honey. It was a warm sunny day and I did check the second frame. It was full of sealed brood.
    If you have a lite hive you can help it with a frame of honey or some fondant, candy board or even some regular sugar. I think it is still too early for liquid feed. Our high temps in CT are still in low mid 40 F and the low under 30 F.

Gilman

Agree with Gilman, too early for syrup. I put fondant on all my light hives a couple days ago.