Big Grin Splitting advice: nucs vs mediums

I was just wondering why haveing a Nuc is better than a just a Medium box.
    I have started many swarms in mediums that covered just two frames.

I'm planning to add two frames of brood and the queen, with two frames of pollen and honey. Will let the original hive raise a new queen.

Do you guys see any issue with that approach?

And yes, I'm only in my third session.

Default Re: Splitting advice: nucs vs mediums

I'm assuming you've got a hive and are adding a nuc, rather than just starting with a nuc only.

I'd just match the frame size of my larger hive, a medium and a 5 frame deep nuc have about the same comb area.

You should not have any problems if the temperatures in your area are above 50 degrees when you split, I have successfully started deep hives with less frames. In spring when the temps outside are cold it would be easier for the bees to stay warm in a nuc.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Bees do better in tight quarters
    You can make starts with just 2frames
    Keep um tight and fed

I think you are correct. I have and use a bunch of nucs - including some that hold 3 half size medium frames - but I have also used full size singles (8 frame mediums) as mating nucs with only a couple of frames of resources, closed bottoms and reduced entrances - and I can't see any important differences in performance - during the main season, winter might be different.

I used to use a special made wooden divider board to make it more cozy, but then I realized that a frame of undrawn plastic foundation works just as well. So just put the bees on one end and fill it up with plastic foundation - that way it's no emergency if they decide to grow.

I do agree that in a lot of ways they do better in tight quarters, but larger hives are easier to manage and require less attention. That's why there are so many flavors.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

i believe that letting the original hive raise a queen is better than letting the small split raise one as you suggest. if you time it right, just before your main flow, it works really well. mike bush describes this as a 'cut down' split on bushfarms.com....

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

i tried this method last year with good results.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

You should not have any problems. A lot of my hives are one deep and one medium so sometimes when I make splits the brood and food resources I need are in the medium box so I just use a medium box to make the split up. Then once the medium is built out I add a deep on top. Yes, if you are going to do a walk away split the original hive should have more resources to make a little better queen than the split.

>I'm planning to add two frames of brood and the queen, with two frames of pollen and honey. Will let the original hive raise a new queen.
    >Do you guys see any issue with that approach?

As long as you have drones flying and it's not freezing at night, no issues.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF