Smile italian queens vs russian hybrid queens..?

I just went out today and checked on my 5 garden bee hives... Ohhhh... I have 4 dead hives and 1 still alive.. I put fondue on that I got from Bushy Mountain Bee Farm.. now wondering what kind of bees to get to replace my lost hives.. I had just moved north from a warmer area of the state...and for gardening here..they are a month behind from where I came from. It is definately colder here. I am looking into russian hybrid bees..and yet I enjoy working the 3 ring Italian honey bee. Is there anyone that could recommend what might work? I even thought of purchasing 3 or 4 italian bee packages and also 2 or 3 russian packages and then let them requeen themselves? - giving me a cross breed? or do I just requeen with russian queens?...then a friend of mine suggested trying another breed.... I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS... I live near Wilkes-Barre PA ...

Default Re: italian queens vs russian hybrid queens..?

Any of the races of bees available can be successfully overwintered if provisioned properly and in good health. Choosing a few different races might be interesting or you could continue with Italians if that is what you like.

I would contact RON, who is a commercial beekeer in Pa,,//

his email is \
    rapapa@ptd.net

he may have packages or nucs avail

If you have drawn comb I would get a couple of Italian packages... They seem to be excellent honey producers.

I would then requeen in the Summer with a more resistant or local queen.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

if you want a hardy queen i am going to raise a bunch this year around 300 queens or more. give me a call (315)399-2146

Quote Originally Posted by JD's Bees View Post
    Any of the races of bees available can be successfully overwintered if provisioned properly and in good health. Choosing a few different races might be interesting or you could continue with Italians if that is what you like.
    Very good answer,

It is definitely neat to try a few different races. Keep in mind, in a relatively short time, your hives will be locals anyways. Speaking of local bees, I find our local bees nice to work with.

Shane